New Owner looking for overview and info on device drivers and Groovy (as it applies to Habitat)

I'm currently waiting for my Habitat Elevation to be delivered and of course I'm ravenous for information.

So my question is, where can I look to get a basic understanding of what a Habitat device driver is (aside from the obviousness of it's name) and if / how groovy enters into the picture.

Perhaps there is a link to a simple device driver that will allow me the at least get a flavor of the complexity.

Thanks

John

Fundamentally, SmartThings Groovy and Hubitat Groovy are the same. There's a thread offering an overview of how to translate a ST Device Handler into Hubitat. At the simplest possible level, you search-and-replace "physicalgraph" with "hubitat" and the saved driver will compile. In a lot of cases, that's all there is. Therefore most of the "documentation" is actually SmartThings. Apps are similar, without being the same, with SmartThings again being the "documentation." That's a 40,000 ft overview. obviously at ground level... begin with a lot of hair. (You'll pull it out!) :smiley:

Throughout this community are DH and Apps in source. The embedded Hubitat source is not published. You'll have to use community translated DH and Apps as your guide/template. There's an entire section for Code Share, under Getting Started.

I would start by going to Google and search for "smartthings documentation". The first result will take you where you need to go. Then read everything you can there, because Smartthings and Hubitat are very similar. Once you kind of understand Smartthings, then you can start finding existing device handlers and apps and port them over to Hubitat as @csteele suggested.

If you go to Code Share, you can find examples of working device handlers and apps.

Here's a link to a very simple driver:

https://github.com/CobraVmax/Hubitat/tree/master/Drivers/Switches

It's a simple virtual switch driver which will automatically switch on/off after a set number of seconds/minutes ( can be set to be on or off after the timeout )

It will give you an idea on how the basic stuff works

Andy

Thanks to you all for you info.:smile: I am starting to get a hint of the inner operation. I guess I'll now have to read more and wait for delivery.

John

I believe this is the thread @csteele is referring to. Here they're called drivers vs DTH.

1 Like