New Novice for HE questions on bulbs and timing

Hi All,
I am new here but wow so much support from everyone forum is amazing. So been working on smart home stuff for few years now. Want to get away from cloud and wifi systems. I am looking forward to buying a hub shortly and pretty excited. I have a hue hub and Xiaomi gateway. Plan to not connect the Xiaomi and just connect the sensors to HE. Then have all bulbs on the hue hub.

Questions I have are have the bulbs in one network and sensors in different network do lights turn on within 1 second ?

Hue bulbs have always been quick with their motion sensors
Xiaomi motion sensors everytime I check that app after walking within site motion detected is same time as my phone time with in a second or so. I have all bulbs I need and mostly all sensors for now :wink: so from what I can tell just need the HE hub. I have been on forum the last week reading regarding Xiaomi sensors so think I can get them to work but we will see.

Hoping for answers on Xiaomi motion zigbee sensors and people with motion sensors in one network and bulbs in the other
thanks
JS

Welcome aboard! I cannot speak of connecting Xiaomi sensors to Hubitat Elevation, because I am not familiar with their sensors, nor have they been tested by our engineers. However, I can speak of integrating Hue bulbs and using them with Zigbee motion sensors connected directly to Hubitat Elevation hub.

The bulbs are connected to the Hue bridge via Zigbee protocol, then the bridge is connected to the Hubitat Elevation hub via local network. So the Zigbee motion sensors don't have to be connected to the same Zigbee network as the Hue bulbs; Hubitat Zigbee and Hue Zigbee run in parallel. However the Hue bridge and Hubitat Elevation hub must be on the same local network segment.

2 Likes

Welcome to HE and to the forum.

Xiaomi sensors are a very mixed bag. Many do not conform to the Zigbee standard (which may be part of the reason why they are not on the compatibility list). That being said there are folks who have had luck with them and if you do a search on the forum you'll find a lot of info. I tried a few, never did get them to work reliably, chucked them and moved on.

I have bulbs on one network and sensors on another, just as @bobbyD describes. Works fine. Any lag is beneath my threshold of observation. However, I use Hue bulbs only when a smart switch or smart outlet is really not an option, or I need color. Smart bulbs are too easily disabled with a not-so-smart switch and user.

4 Likes

Thanks Bobby this was what I was looking to confirm Zigbee sensors on HE hub and zigbee bulbs Hue bridge much appreciated appreciate the welcome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will take a middle ground here between the other two responses regarding Aqara/Xiaomi. I think they can work fine with Hubitat, in small quantities. I wouldn't want to have many dozens of these paired to Hubitat. However there is no guarantee that they will work fine.

You will also have to be extremely careful about the other mix of Zigbee devices on the hub as well as what repeaters you use in the mix. There is at least one thread describing how to keep the Aqara devices happy on Hubitat, and other threads regarding what repeaters do and don't work well with them.

I don't use Hue hub, so I can't help there...

1 Like

I've attempted many many times to connect Xiaomi devices to HE, including motion sensors. Long story short, tons of wasted time and money, it will drive you nuts and isn't worth saving 10 dollars on a motion sensor. Get a zigbee fully compatible motion sensor.
The other option is to leave Xiaomi devices on their own Aqara/Xiaomi hub and integrate thru home assistant into Hubitat.

That's been my experience, and it fits with the fact Xiaomi lacks a listing on the HE compatible hardware catalog

4 Likes

That’s what I’ve done. I also have a Xiaomi or Ikea repeaters next to each of them, otherwise they constantly drop off the mesh. So there is very little cost savings to using them… In my case, the form factor is what I was looking for as I added them inside my crank windows.

3 Likes