New issue with Schlage Z-Wave lock

I don't have Schlage locks, I have 2 Kwikset zwave locks and a yale zwave lock. Not even zwave plus. I was having issues with them not responding to rules and not reporting.

I placed a few repeaters around on opposite walls of the locks (so the repeater was facing the lock) which massively improved the reporting. I was still having issues with rules. In RM, I have my goodnight, goodbye, and welcome home routines. I separated out the door locks from this and had those triggered by the routine rules. then i set each lock command 5 seconds apart. So Lock All Doors Rule Triggers, wait 5 seconds, lock front door, wait 5 seconds, lock back door, wait 5 seconds, lock garage entry door.

It now fires perfectly ever time.

For me, those two steps were the key. Repeaters on an opposite or adjacent wall (not on the same wall/plane as the actual lock... that didn't help at all) and separating out the lock commands with time in between.

2 Likes

What are the things that I did which I think seemed to help a lot was I shutdown my hub for about an hour plugged it back in and let it do its job

Hi, I recently moved from Wink to HE and like so many of you I have had problems with my Schlage zwave locks. I tried zwave repair multiple times, installed two aecotec extenders 6s so they are facing the locks. No luck.

I notice this thread stopped back on October. Is that because you all solved your problems. In the different discussions on the problem, I haven't seen anyone mention HE support response.

Also moved here from Wink. Had multiple issues with both my Schlages (BE469, FE599) until I added 5 Aeotec repeaters (in early May). I added one repeater very close to the HE (less than 2 feet away) and others around the house - there's one within 10 feet of both locks). Had a single general z-wave unresponsiveness since then (in August). No issues since then.

Support had advised me that the HE would use the repeater closest to it, so I placed one right by the HE.

Funny you should bring this up. I added a few extenders one about three feet away from the lock and the other one about 2 feet away from the Hub. I also replaced most of my Z-Wave light switches with new inovelli Z-Wave plus light switches. Once I did that the locks seem to work good for three or four weeks. Now I'm back in the same saddle again sometimes it'll work most of the times it will not. I did send an email this morning to support still waiting to hear from them

Right now I can use the dashboard to lock and unlock. I can tell Google to lock and unlock. Both ways will change the state of the lock. If I put in a code the door unlocks but the state of the lock does not change. I can manually unlock the door and the state does not change.

I totally don't understand that at all.

What is the firmware version? There are known issues with FW 7.1 and earlier.

Yeah, I read about having one of the extenders by the HE and working out. I have an extender 6 next to the HE, then I have a zwave plus switch within 3 ft of the front door lock. The switch is on a right angle wall - not the same wall. For the garage door lock, I have an extender 6 above and about 6 ft in front of the lock. The front door lock randomly works. The garage door lock stops working and will sometimes operate via HE commands. Interestingly, even when it will not take lock/unlock commands, it reports back to HE the battery level and sometimes reports when a physical lock change happens. For example, 5 minutes ago it reported the lock and then unlock, but now it doesn't.

With Wink, I didn't have the extenders or the zwave plus switch. The locks worked every time. Now with HE, I've given up on trusting the system and have to physically lock to make sure our home isn't left at risk.

@aaiyar. Can't remember the exact fw but I think it was like 10. I know it was higher then 7

I used to have all the same issues. I added 5 Aeotec repeaters, with one next to the HE and one next to each lock. That didn’t resolve my issue.

What DID resolve my issue fully and completely was getting a 2nd Hubitat just for the locks and a few repeaters. I have had zero issues since putting in the 2nd HE C5. I wish I would have done that sooner. Details here: Adding Aeotec Range Extenders has made my BE469 and FE599 locks reliable

Do you run the Z-Wave Poller app?

1 Like

No I don't run the Z-Wave Poller app. How would that help? Most times the locks will report battery level even when lock/unlock commands don't work.

An update on my situation. I moved the HE into the garage so I could remove and re-add the garage door lock since that lock is much more problematic. However, I decided to check thing out after the move. I did a Z-Wave Repair and disconnected/connected the lock battery. It's been 12 hours and both locks are still operational with HE. I'll wait a while longer to see how that goes. Fingers crossed.

Was asking only because when on, it caused my locks to work really poorly.

1 Like

I turned mine off a few months ago. I switch my driver on my zwave extenders to the IRIS Zwave Repeater driver on Friday. Haven't had an issue with my lock since. But now that I say this, I'm sure I will have issues. LOL

basic261, are your extenders the Aeotec Range Extender 6? If so, I'll give the driver a try.

As another update, my locks have been working great since relocating the hub to the garage. I did have the locks drop off at one point, but that was after I moved the hub a short distance to access something. Moving the hub back allowed the locks to start function again. So one week and all is well.

@tonyholland yes it is. I would relocate my hub but I really don't want to go the the hassle and expense of getting a wire for internet out there.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I'll try the repeater driver next. I ran ethernet to my garage for security cameras. I'm using one of those right now, but I'd like to get that back for the camera.

I agree - running wire when the walls are finished can be a bug-bear. I wish I'd run ethernet in conduit everywhere while rebuilding my house after Katrina. But that was almost 15 years ago, and the only automation I had was a few bulbs through an X-10 controller.

Edit - Carnac never predicted Hubitat :laughing:

2 Likes

I got them normal 4 days before I had to remove batteries from lock for 30 seconds. After all good for another 4 days.

Why does this lock work great for 4 days then it's gone?

Wife just left and the lock should have locked within 3 mins. It didn't so this time it was only 1 day.

I'm trying reliable lock app again.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.