New Hubitat Z Wave

You need to factory reset the devices or exclude them in the ISY. Just google how to factory reset the devices; that is usually fastest way to solve the problem?

If you are dumping one Hub for another a factory reset sometimes can be easier.

Be sure to check for failed pairings in Settings > Z-Wave Details. For you, these will likely be rows (nodes) without a linked device in the Device column. There should be a Remove button; if not, a Refresh or two should make one appear, or if you wait a while it will likely change on its own when it fails to hear back from the device for a while. Just mentioning this since "ghosts" have been known to (though not necessarily) cause problems and it sounds like you've had a few unsuccessful pairings that may have created some (or at least something bad if you are strict on terminology :D).

2 Likes

I have moved many people over from the ISY to Hubitat. I find that even if I exclude from the ISY does not do a good job excluding it and I have to factory reset anyway.

My advice is to go from device to device - Factory reset then add that device to Hubitat. Make sure that you keep your Hubitat close to the device you are including. You can heal the network later when you install all your devices. I use a long ethernet cable and a portable power source. It works great.

@SteveP Are your devices z-wave or z-wave plus? If z-wave they can not be excluded/included via repeaters they need to be paired close to the hub. Also did you exclude or reset your devices first? (Make sure you turn off your old hub first) Please take a gander at this

1 Like

again thanks.

my challenge is in still have many insteon devices, didn't want to spend $$$$$$ to replace every single one at once. more of a slow migration, however, that may not be an option....

1 Like

I am huge Insteon guy who moved over. Hubitat does not support Insteon but I will tell you on eBay you get near full retail for those devices. So I would sell them on eBay and buy Zigbee switches. I also like the Lutron Caseta solution with a Hub Pro but it is much more expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Enbrighten-QuickFit-SimpleWire-Directly-43076/dp/B08428GHM8/ref=sxin_15_ac_d_mf_br?ac_md=1-0-RW5icmlnaHRlbg%3D%3D-ac_d_mf_br_br&content-id=amzn1.sym.66ee1041-127b-4baf-8390-1a597387172e%3Aamzn1.sym.66ee1041-127b-4baf-8390-1a597387172e&crid=2P48JSN9WXWYS&cv_ct_cx=zigbee+switch&keywords=zigbee+switch&pd_rd_i=B08428GHM8&pd_rd_r=6d6762f7-60a8-4893-a20f-04740baccbec&pd_rd_w=qiQRm&pd_rd_wg=0g9QW&pf_rd_p=66ee1041-127b-4baf-8390-1a597387172e&pf_rd_r=T5KH8JW2VEJWZVCSA8H1&psc=1&qid=1662663129&sprefix=zigbee+%2Caps%2C792&sr=1-1-4c1442dc-e644-4a05-a0d0-ff1b45d55b2f

3 Likes

If you want to work with Insteon/ISY and Z-wave there are two solutions. Homeseer with the ISY plugin or Home assistant with a Z-wave/Zigbee stick (using the ISY). Both are much more complicated. I would recommend removing and selling your Insteon and buying Zigbee replacements. I do like Zigbee over Z-wave; it works better with less headaches. When you switch to Hubitat you will never go back.

thanks again... i kind of realize now my change will have to come at a must faster rate and more $$ than expected up front vs. easing into it.

i don't plan to keep the insteon stuff and was going to go all Hubitat.

just will have to do it quicker so avoid the being in limbo/between

1 Like

That is what I would do. There is a small learning curve but if you know how to use an ISY then you will learn Hubitat fast. If you have questions just ask; we will answer fast.

The only manual app I would install at first is the " Hubitat Package Manager". You can use that to download any third party app that you require. Try to use the built in apps first if available.

1 Like

If you decide to go Zigbee, also consider the Inovelli Blue series dimmer/switch. They start shipping next week. Pricing is similar to the Jasco/GE Zigbee models with some nice features.

2 Likes

yes I noticed you guys are right on top of things..

need to get on Amazon and order more stuff

so some seem to prefer Zigbee vs. ZWave?

is there an easy way to rearrange the order of a Basic Rule actions?

Those look great. I pre ordered some myself. I sent you the GE model because it is available today and it has worked well for me.

I would start a new thread for each major issue that you have.

It's a deep topic. Some people swear by one or the other. Some people (me included) use both for the best of breed based on device. Forum research will help fill in the particulars here.

3 Likes

If you have a C7, check if the Z-Wave is updated.

2 Likes

Definitely update the Z-wave firmware.