New Hubitat owner - kitchen timer, doable?

I just ordered my first Hubitat and wanted to check in to see if I can get some guidance on an automation I was looking to configure.

I want to leverage my hue bridge, zigbee light strip and amazon echo. While in the kitchen i would like to ask Alexa to set a timer of X minutes and at the conclusion of the timer for the led lights to either blink or change color as well as a customized audible response on the echo. Is this doable?

This is not possible as Amazon doesn't allow any hooks into timers from 3rd party apps or routines.

The app Echo Speaks ([RELEASE] Echo Speaks v3 + Actions) might have a hook in, but I haven't seen any mention of it in the docs.

yes it hooks into creating timers and alarms, but not monitoring them. It also allows you to execute routines

1 Like

Can you think of any way to monitor them?

You can use the IFTTT integration into HE. You would create a virtual switch in HE and then create a rule in IFTTT that when an Alexa timer goes off to turn on the virtual switch you created in HE. Then in HE you would create your rule where the virtual switch is your trigger and then have it run your actions. In HE you can also have it speak to a speaker as well, not sure it has the hooks for echo though. I use Sonos and HE works well with voice responses.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

@greg.cole - thanks for the info about the Alexa to IFTTT integration. I never knew there was one. Looks like there is already even an solution independent of Hubitat (i.e. Alexa->IFTTT->Hue) that might help @mjcocat . I just wonder how fast it is...:thinking:

1 Like

This is great. Local would be nice, but this might be a simpler solution. Regarding the virtual switches, that's unfamiliar to me. I'll wait until I get the device in hand and try things out. Thanks all for the help here!