New Hubitat owner in AU

I haven’t explored RCM compliance, no not yet. I thought I’d get a couple of samples first.

Sorry, I forgot to address this part of your post. I don't know how the Nue switches handle this, but the Fibaros (and I believe Aeotecs) can be configured to either always toggle the light when the switch is flicked (so yes, you can end up with a switch working in reverse), or to follow the switch state. ie. If the light has been switched on by software, but the switch is in the OFF position, if you now flick the switch to ON, nothing will happen (since the light is already on). If you then flick the switch back to the OFF position, the light will switch off.

1 Like

Thanks, I will check it out. Looks like this is more for wiring up lamps or other electronics that are plugged in to wall sockets? (versus in-wall light switches)

Haha no, not at all, that was super helpful. Sounds like your preferences are very similar to mine (I would rather stick with AU certified, more reliable brands, maintain traditional type switches). I would really love to stick with Zigbee though, I guess might be worth waiting for these other brands to surface. It was in the longer AU/NZ thread where Shelly and Stitchy were mentioned. Not being able to easily update the Fibaro is a bit of a pain as I find most IoT devices inevitably have security holes that need to be patched.

Ahh, that's very cool. Makes them very appealing for me as I can retrofit all my existing lights quite easily. I was also thinking of replacing the switches with momentary style switches (example which would make it even cleaner. Form the Fibaro page it sounds like basically any type of physical switch will play nicely with their controllers.

As per @welby1978, the Nue in-wall controllers don't seem to offer that flexibility, so it sounds like there is still no in-wall Zigbee controller that works this way and is AU certified :frowning: If anyone knows of one, then please let me know.

There is one the stitchy Stitchy RGB - M-Elec LED Lighting but they are around $90 from memory and that was trade to my workplace. It's what i've wanted to use for awhile but i can't justify the cost.

1 Like

Ah interesting. I did read about these in the other thread. Doesn't seem to be much info on them online (mostly points to melec.com.au and the main AU/NZ hubitat thread). Cost is certainly high. Has anyone tested it with Hubitat and give any experiences?

They work with a Philips Hue hub if you have one. Whether they work directly with Hubitat i'm not sure.

Sounds similarly priced to the Z-Wave options. I'm pretty sure I paid $100+ for each of mine :sob:

I got excited when I heard of the Stitchy, but its functionality is pretty far off from the top Z-Wave alternatives. If I remember correctly, the Stitchy can't dim the lights from the attached switch? It doesn't support momentary switches, so you can only use a toggle switch to physically turn the lights on/off, and then the dimming has to be done via software. It also appears to need a neutral wire, and is significantly larger than the others :frowning_face:

1 Like

I dropped the Stitchy folks an email to get a bit more info. They were very helpful. They confirmed the switches will work fine no matter the switch position (doesn't cut power). They also said they are looking at adding momentary switch support (existing units should be backward compatible if they do add it).

They also sent me this market comparison which has some more info and compares the various devices (I confirmed it was ok to share this):

3 Likes

Nice. I think I actually saw that comparison chart on their website.

That would certainly make it closer to par with the Z-Wave options. In fact, it's already a pretty attractive option if you can get it installed in the ceiling/fixture (since it requires a neutral, and is quite large) and you don't need switch-controlled dimming (for now). If these were available when I was getting started, there's a good chance I would have gone with them. Several of my Fibaros are in the ceiling anyway, and many are not controlling dimmable bulbs.

EDIT: Their responsiveness to your inquiry is a good sign, too!

1 Like

How much bigger are they compared to fibaro?

Hmmmm... Just had another look at the Stitchy specs, and it looks like there are different specs listed on the site, vs in the PDF manual. If the manual is correct, it's not that much bigger:

Stitchy (Stitchy RGB - M-Elec LED Lighting)
52.8 x 49 x 21.5 mm

Stitchy (in the PDF)
45.5 x 45 x 20.3 mm

Fibaro
42.5 x 38.25 x 20.3 mm

But at $190 RRP each, they’re expensive !
Almost double the Fibaro.

1 Like

WTF! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :rage:

From the Stitchy chart above :slightly_frowning_face:

$90ish trade price.

Silly question, but how would I actually buy a Stitchy at the moment? They only seem available via wholesale channels. Is it a matter of finding a sparky who can grab one for me? (and ideally at a better price than the RRP).

You can order yourself through a wholesaler, not sure on price though.

Someone's gonna bite the bullet and order one. I wonder who'll it be .....
:slight_smile:

Ah, I guess I just need to register for an account and go through some paperwork. Not sure why there are no retail channels that stock it yet (although then the price will be super high).

Might try one out, but not for a while yet as have a bunch of other things to set up first :slight_smile:

I did notice someone on whirlpool tried one out and wrote up a mini review:

https://whrl.pl/RfYW4n

1 Like

Hi Adam,
Welcome to the Hubitat Community.
I have 4 x Ikea Tradfri Repeaters you can have to say you some money?
Although they work extremely well, I swapped to 3 x xBee's so I could monitor and see any potential problems with my Zigbee Mesh.
I'm in WA, where are you located?
If you're interested, you pay for postage and I'll send them your way?