New Hubitat Elevation Model C-7 Available

The C-7 has a zwave 700 radio/chip.

Just be careful in the wording, as zwave 700 is still zwave plus... (just zwave plus v2). So saying "zwave plus" does not automatically mean zwave 500.

And as with all zwave, zwave 700 is 100% backwards compatible all the way back to zwave 300 (maybe 100, but who even has a zwave 100 device to test against??).

4 Likes

Is the Intermatic CA3750 a z-wave 100-series device? I have one sitting in my garage.

Edit: Yes, it is!.

2 Likes

You "win". :laughing:

I don't have a 300, let alone 100, device to test against at this point.

2 Likes

I'd have to connect it (literally sitting in a box in my garage) .... bought two of them 6-7 years ago. One was DOA, and I never used the other beyond testing it. I do have 300-series sensors - Aeotec leak sensors and some GoControl contact sensors that I have repurposed as dry-contact sensors.

If you ask me.. They (z-wave alliance) made that so confusing.. It makes it sound like it is a small improvement over z-wave plus.. When it’s actually a huge list of improvements.

1 Like

No argument there.

zwave plus+ would have been better.

3 Likes

I can’t wait to see what device manufacturers are really going to do with the massive cpu jump, double the flash, and ram.. Our endpoint devices are going to be getting a lot smarter.

2 Likes

Ooh, ooh... I know a few things on that topic! But NDAs prohibit me talking. :slight_smile:

It should be good, but will be a while still (in my opinion). A lot of the phase 1 700 devices will just be re-hashed 500 series devices to get their 'feet wet' in using a real programming language for the devices again instead of the equivalent to assembly language.

2 Likes

Yep.. Seeing a lot of those right now.. It’s going to be interesting though... I’m starting to see vendors add one or two more features than their previous models.. So It’s coming..

1 Like

I'm dying to see if the battery life improvements in new 700 series devices really prove out.

10 year battery life is unlikely/marketing hype, but if the norm became more like 5 years minimum, that would be AWESOME.

Would love to know this as well. Please don't pull a 'SmartThings' and say us early adaptors are SOL with our gen1 hubs.

So far.. What I’ve been seeing, to my disappointment, is the manufacturers are going with smaller batteries because they can now.. If they would stick with the larger batteries we would see that amazing battery life..

One good trend I have noticed is fewer sleepy end devices and more LSS (FLiRS) .. I worked on a motion sensor driver that was LSS recently.. I’m not a fan of the super sleepy devices..

3 Likes

what is LSS

Listening Sleepy Slave.. It’s constantly waking up to see if the hub has commands for it.. Rather than the usually long wait for WakeUp timers

1 Like

I see what you did there. I think Norway would thrive as a separate continent - after all, we pioneered social distancing, as we've always liked to keep people at a comfortable 15 feet distance.

1 Like

Other than my wife, that sounds perfect to me. :wink:

1 Like

Re: phase 1 700 series... does that mean that there will be some devices branded as '700 series' devices with 8-bit cpu cores?

Had to wait in line outside Costco a couple weeks back. I wish more people felt like you and I do.

No... But some are just upgrading their code for the new CPU and not taking full advantage of the extra resources.

No. If it is a 700 series device it has to be on the new silicon.

What I mean is that even though there is a lot more cpu/memory available, a lot some of phase 1 devices will only have the same features as the older 500 series devices - and won't be using the new speed/space for anything new / or only limited new features.

1 Like