New Hub - Severe hub CPU load detected

I think @PerryP tried a soft reset/restore, and that made the alert go away for a little while but it came back... he's got a brand new C7 on 2.3.0.124. Only a handful of devices and nothing else.

What about excluding all the devices and add them back one by one, waiting a while between each, to see if a device is the issue? It's a new hub with only a few devices... sounds like a pain but it might get to the bottom of the problem?

2 Likes

Also maybe doing a Z-Wave reset to clear out any ghosts..

1 Like

Thank you everyone for jumping onto the thread and helping a newbie out. I really appreciate everyone's support on this.

@thebearmay, @brad5 walked me through the process of doing a soft reset on my new C7 and while it does clear away the notification, it comes back after a few hours. The interesting thing is I had one GE Z-Wave switch registered and had live logs running to see if it's just being noisy and nothing shows up until I actually push the button which is why I'm at a loss.

I'm not sure whether the current firmware is the culprit (I don't think it is since it doesn't look like it's affecting anyone else). @erktrek would a Z-Wave reset blow out my devices where i have to reregister everything? I don't mind doing it since I only have a few registered. I guess the geeky side of me is more curious where the hub is basing this notification off of since all the logs (devices and apps) don't seem to reporting high overall CPU usage.

I'll wait a few more days to see if support can get back to me or maybe, by some hub magic, the notification/alert will go away. Maybe the hub is working hard to reroute the newly discovered devices and optimize the Z-Wave path? For the time being I'll try doing a reset and will try anything else people would recommend :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

Yep thats what it does... have to re-include all your Z-Wave devices.

Sounds good. I'll try it out. Thanks

That sounds unlikely. I wonder if when you re-add the devices after resetting the zwave radio if you might do them one at a time and leave enough time between them for a bad device to trigger the problem, if @thebearmay's theory of a bad device is correct?

2 Likes

Hi @brad5 , I tried resetting the Z-Wave radio and then pairing a device once every 5 hours or so. The hub was fine after the reset, as expected, but as soon as I paired a device, a couple hours later it would throw the Severe hub CPU notification. I checked the logs and everything paired fine, the drivers and apps % of total are also very low (.001). I'm really at a loss why the hub is throwing this error and support hasn't responded to me yet. Any other ideas?

I noticed that my Z-Wave Device has the following settings Event History size - 30, State History Size - 30, Too Many event alert threshold - 300. Do I need to tweak any of these settings?

Thanks again

Perry

@bobbyD or @gopher.ny can you see anything in @PerryP 's engineering logs?

@PerryP, could you please PM me your hub's UID from Settings - Hub details?

1 Like

Thank you for your help gopher.ny. I just PM’ed you my hub’s UID

under settings>>networking do you have DHCP auto recconnect on? and or/whats the recconect attempt time?

Hi rlithgow, DHCP auto reconnect is not set to on. Should I tell it to try reconnecting with DHCP if cannot ping router? I haven’t touched any of the network settings so it should be at its default state.

Thanks

Please check your email. We believe you are dealing with a hardware malfunction and a replacement hub is on its way.

5 Likes

Thanks @bobbyD! I checked and just got a email that a replacement is coming. Appreciate everyone’s help on this. I’ll report back once I get the replacement plugged in and running.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Seeing as @bobbyD found the issue :slight_smile: The answer is no, unless using a wifi dongle, it's best to leave it off. Please report back how the new hub is!

Understood. Thanks again for everyone's help. I'll report back when I get everything set up. :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, reporting back with the latest status. Plugged in the new hub and paired all the hardwired switches in the house. No CPU issues reported and everything works flawlessly. Thank you everyone for getting a newbie through the setup process and providing recommendations. Looks like the hub was the culprit and the new hub resolved everything. Thank you @bobbyD for addressing the support ticket quickly. Looking forward to start automating things :smiley:

One last question, when I log into my Hubitat account, I still see the old hub. Is there a way I can remove it? I gave the new hub a different IP so it's not causing any conflicts but I just wanted to clean everything up.

Thanks again!

Perry

4 Likes

Just make sure you don't have any ghosts! :stuck_out_tongue:

Please send me the MAC address in a PM and I'll take care of it.

Thanks again @bobbyD, I sent over the old hub's information as requested.

@rlithgow1 how do you check for ghost devices? I looked under the zwave details tab and everything is noted as ok with neighbors in the Stats column. Does that mean everything is good?

Thanks!

1 Like