New house, new hub, new to automation

Hi, I'm building a new house and planning to add some automations to it, meanwhile, I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of youtube on the subject, but the more a read the more a realize there so many things to learn about this.
I pull the trigger on a HE during the leap day sale, so that's decided.
I also have a couple of devices here, some Yeelight bulbs and a couple of Amazon plugs.
Now, I was reading these docs on how to setup Zigbee and ZWave mesh networks:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

Which made me think, do people go for both networks? What's the point of doing so?

And what is the place of WiFi devices? How do you normally integrate those into automations using HE? Or you don't?

Also, do bulbs work as repeaters?

Do you use devices that are not officially supported? I saw some cheap Aqara devices I wanted to try some (before investing too much), but I have no idea how to install drivers that are not officially supported, or if it's even worth it.

Finally, I'm still living in an apartment and will be moving in a couple of months. Is it worth adding some of those devices now and then moving? Or am I better of waiting? I'm asking this thinking about the mesh being setup.

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Some devices are only available for sale on one network of another. So that sometimes drives users to use both Zigbee and Z-Wave. Personally, I use Zigbee (for sensors) and Lutron Caseta (for switches, dimmers, fan controllers, and pico remotes) throughout my house. Z-Wave was too finicky in my situation, so I have removed all but one Z-Wave device from my home at this point. I now have a very stable and great performing system. This has allowed me to add true home automation without having to constantly 'fix' things every day.

WiFi devices = LAN Connected devices. Some of these are natively supported by Hubitat. For example, my Lutron Caseta devices actually use an RF Protocol called Clear Connect. They all connect to my Lutron SmartBridge PRO2 bridge over the LAN connection. Philips Hue bridges are connected over the LAN as well. So, Hubitat does support these integrations, as well as some more traditional "WiFi" switches. In general, most folks prefer to use Zigbee or Z-Wave instead of WiFi due to the fact that most WiFi Devices are dependent on that vendor's cloud solution. Zigbee and Z-Wave are all local control (as well as Lutron and Philips.) In general, Hubitat tries to always integrate via a local connectivity method instead of cloud connections.

Zigbee bulbs, for the most part, have been found to make poor Zigbee HA1.2 repeaters. Bulbs do a good job repeating for other bulbs...but fall short when asked to be repeaters for motion sensors, leak sensors, contact sensors, door locks, etc... Thus, most of us either use Sengled Zigbee bulbs (as these are NOT repeaters) directly paired to Hubitat, or use a Philips Hue bridge with Philips bulbs attached, or some other bulbs paired to the Hue bridge. This prevents the problems with Zigbee bulbs being poor Zigbee HA1.2 repeaters as they are connected to another bridge. Some users also buy a second Hubitat hub just for Zigbee bulbs.

Avoid these if you want a reliable Zigbee network. These devices do not yet fully comply with the Zigbee HA1.2 or 3.0 standards. As such, they drop off the Zigbee mesh network and require a lot of maintenance (i.e. they're a headache! :wink: ) However, there are some users who love them, even with their quirks. In order to use them reliably, you MUST use specific Zigbee repater devices that are known to 'play well' with the Xiaomi/Aqara devices. I have avoided them in favor of supported devices, the those from SmartThings/Iris/Centralite, Samsung, etc... There are plenty of fully compliant, reliable devices to choose from.

Oh... Welcome to Hubitat!

5 Likes

My answer for both reflects what others have said, flexibility in purchasing different devices and solutions irrespective of zigbee v.s. z-wave.

Having said that, I have a small house, so it wasn't hard to get both into a good state. If you are starting off, perhaps go with only one first (e.g. Zigbee) and see if you can get far enough in your device selection before pulling the z-wave trigger which can be more finicky.

1 Like

I've had great luck with the Zooz toggle switches.. replaced all the switches on our second floor with them - running on my upstairs hub. Wish the WAF was higher for the Lutron stuff though.

I might consider the Ra2 stuff for switches on a new build - the look is much more standard and there are more choices. I know it's crazy expensive but so is building a house.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community .. I was about to answer your questions .. But it looks like @ogiewon gave the same answers I was going to..

2 Likes