New homekit integration info?

so do you set it up first i assume on homekit.. i dont have any apple products but have a home mini coming.. what would i do to set it up exactly as you as that is my goal.. just having homekit for this single lock for now.

Do what works for you. That is the beauty, and complexity, of home automation with Hubitat.

100%!

2 Likes

How do you setup a Home mini, integrate with HE, etc if you don't have an Apple iPhone or tablet? I'm asking as a 100% Android guy.

1 Like

This is a very high level (Ha! Inadvertant pun.) view of the installation and setup to make the Bolt lock a Hubitat device.

1. Set up HomeKit through your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. It does work best if you have a an AppleTV or HomePod to be the constant HomeKit hub.

2. Install the bolt device in the deadbolt lock, and set it up. BEWARE: make sure your existing deadbolt will work with Bolt. Schlage can be especially difficult to work with. I replaced my Schlage deadbolts with Kwikset. The setup has guidance on connecting it to HomeKit.

3. Create a virtual lock in Hubitat. The vitrual lock is interesting because it lets you programmatically set the lock state.

4. Setup HomeKit integration in Hubitat. I'll leave the details of this to the instructions provided above. include the virtual lock created above in the list of devices exposed to HomeKit.

5. In the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac create four automations.
    a. When the Bolt LOCKS, lock the virtual lock
    b. When the Bolt UNLOCKS, unlock the virtual lock
    c. When the Vitual Lock LOCKS, lock the bolt lock
    d. When the Vitual Lock UNLOCKS, unlock the bolt lock

At this point the Bolt lock and its status is available AND controllable in Hubitat.

I couldn't agree more David. We are all at different point along the home automation path amd have different goals and tolerances for our systems. The one great thing we have with Hubitat, is this fabulous community.

2 Likes
1 Like

this is a fricking bust.. apparently i didnt do enough research and you cannot even setup a homepod without iphone or ipad.. guess back on ebay it goes. Anyone know of a windows ios emiulator tjhat works to set it up?

Like Tim Cook said when asked about blue iMessages for Android texts, "just buy your mom an iPhone".

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09G9CJM1Z

5 Likes

nope not getting a phone/ipad just to install one stupid lock i want.. reselling everything..

this re clarifies why i never liked apple in the first place.. locked ecosystem that doesnt play nice with anyone else.

4 Likes

Even if there was (which I have no idea), you wouldn’t be able to do anything with it or setup Apple Home without an iPhone or iPad, an Apple ID, and an iCloud account.

But it plays very well with other Apple devices. I used to be an Apple hater, but I don’t miss the extra steps involved with even simple things like using my earbuds or streaming music around the house, not to mention having to help my wife and kids to get simple things working all of the time. They are the reason I started transitioning to ATV, HomePod minis, etc from Fire sticks and Echos.

4 Likes

Maybe:

I've never been an Apple fan boy but when it comes to phone and tablets they tend to just work. I've had android in the past and a lot of issues and simply went back to Apple for stability. I mean my workstations are windows/linux but for phone/tablet apple all the way. Again it just works.

6 Likes

Hm, I guess when I posted to get a HomePod mini I was assuming anyone who wanted Homekit integration already had an iPhone (or else why would you want it?)

8 Likes

As i said to use a lock type not avail on any other platform.

@kahn-hubitat The Homekit integration won’t let you add HomeKit devices to Hubitat, only Hubitat devices to HomeKit. So without an iOS device running the Home app you’d be unable to control that lock.

1 Like

Yes that is what i assumed the homepod mini was for. So not true what you said.

I think what he's sayin is you need an iphone/ipad to add devices to homekit itself regardless if you have a homepod hub of any kind and to write rules on homekit. You can't do it from an android phone (unless there is some kind of 3rd part integration on android to homekit to allow that control). You also need an iphone to setup a homepod mini.

2 Likes

Step 1 from @wayne.pirtle’s explanation in response to @kahn-hubitat’s question above.

3 Likes

My apologies @kahn-hubitat. I’m did make the assumption that you had an iPhone/iPad, or you were aware one was required for HomeKit to function. Again, my apologies for the assumption.

I made the statement about AppleTV and HomePod because, in theory, if you have an iPhone/iPad it can and will function as the hub. It doesn’t make any practical sense to expect only your iPhone to be the hub though. If you take with you when you leave your home (duh! That’s what we do with phones. ) HomeKit won’t function. Not a practical solution in my mind.

I am like @Ken_Fraleigh and @rlithgow1, once I tried an iPhone (a hand-me-down Gen 1 from my son) years ago, I was hooked. It just works. Desktops and laptops? I’m still a Windows user. I do have the random rPi or other micro form factor device running Linux.

If you do decide to come over to the dark side, Luke, you will like the Level locks. Like iPhones, they just work, too well, my wife would say.

I installed a new Level Bolt in our utility room garage door last night. The HE via Homebridge HomeKit integration locked her out when she left. Lol. She was ok with it. She asked for the lock to be installed and she was just rattled from the jury duty selection process she had come home from.

2 Likes

Sorry Wayne, hope I didn’t imply you were at fault or anything. Several people have referenced using an iOS device to setup HomeKit in this thread.

3 Likes