New homekit integration info?

Victor has indicated that the trigger for exclusion is based upon the capability set of the driver. In particular, if the driver has "DoorControl" as a capability, it will be excluded regardless of whether it is built-in or community.

Edit: I have tested this btw, and removed DoorControl from one of my drivers as a result.

4 Likes

Thanks @bertabcd1234 .

Does it mean that none of my devices that use custom drivers (not HE built-in) can be exposed to homekit?

This would all be good feedback to give directly to Apple. As @gopher.ny has mentioned, Apple calls the shots when it comes to the iOS Home app and what is possible with HomeKit.

2 Likes

No, custom Zigbee and Z-Wave drivers are fine (but again, still subject to the other restrictions).

Got it. So custom OK, but custom and virtual is the problem?

I have a custom driver for fans, and they do not show up in the Homekit Integration app. With that said there may be a issue with my driver.

Nah - I've had to do that back and forth 5 times over the last few weeks, I get quicker with practice :grinning:

Yeah, or any "forbidden" capability...or at least that's my current understanding. :slight_smile: Apparently the guidelines aren't super-clear (and this changed at least once during the private beta), but I think that's the interpretation they settled on; if/when they get certified, it may change if Apple disagrees.

Worth a try, but doubt they'll listen or care. Apple is worse than Samsung...they know what's best for us...

I have an open case in the Beta section about fans not showing up consistently, not sure what the issue is yet but the devs know about it.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see my LIFX bulbs in the list, only the groups I created (via Groups and Scenes app). Also, how do I enable ā€œAdaptive Lightingā€ for the group of light with the native HomeKit integration app?

Not available. Iā€™ve asked @gopher.ny a couple times but heā€™s still busy with more pressing issues.

LAN and WiFi devices are not supported. See: HomeKit Integration | Hubitat Documentation

For adaptive lighting, I don't think most Hubitat devices will wok for that as the driver seems like it would need to support prestaging, which many don't.

Thanks both for the answer. Iā€™ll stick with Homebridge for now.

1 Like

It works with Homebridge V2. It doesnā€™t send the commands unless the light is on. Thatā€™s very important, because prior to that change, it would eventually crash my hub from sending commands to every Zigbee light every minute.

1 Like

Except if you have a VPN? Or do they block that some way?

Upgraded HE firmware, installed homekit, enabled a few devices, played around with home app, hated it, weighed potential benefits of siri/voice/apple automations, decided to uninstall everything within 30 min or so.

Apple's home app dashboard is really terrible compared to literally everything else I've looked at and used, including S-T's terrible offering. Love my iPhone, but not seeing anything in this ecosystem that's useful to me yet - siri voice control alone is not compelling to me.

Will keep watching, but for me right now, homekit just adds unnecessary complexity with little/no benefit.

I'm surprised, my wife finds it much easier to use, especially since iOS16.

Personally, I quite like it too.

3 Likes

Me too. Plenty of other iOS users seem to find it useful for manual control of devices and status monitoring. To each their own, I suppose.

6 Likes

Once I setup Homebridge a while back I abandoned the slow-to-load Hubitat dashboards for good. Nice thing about Homekit is it is built right into the OS so it loads up fast and is integrated with Siri.

3 Likes