New from Smartthings

Hello, I'm a new HE user. Been with ST for about two years, and had pretty good luck with my small home automation which is only some lights, a few google voice commands and routines. But I've also found frustration with ST hub going online and offline on a more than occasional occurrence, even when my internet is fine. Which would lead to a few routines not working. So I made the leap, got a lot of learning, the UI not quite as user friendly as ST but I get it, and it's a different platform so as long as it works, it works.
Questions, I got a few, but I'll take those out to another post. Look forward to learn from the community.
Russ

3 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome!
I just came over from Wink in December, and am in heaven (and sadly have now spent money I wasn't planning on new sensors... first world problems).

Searching this forum has a TON of info. When you find stuff on older threads, don't hesitate to still ask questions there as opposed to always starting a new one.

1 Like

Welcome! I was a former ST user too. I've been on HE for over a year and a half now and have been happily off ST for most of that time. You'll find some things are done differently, but HE has been much more stable than ST ever was for me.

1 Like

Welcome!!! I switched a year ago or so and will never go back. Just keep in mind you are on a new platform so will be swapping one set of potential issues/frustrations for another. The automations will be faster and it will never "go down" like ST does.

Depending upon your devices and rules however you may encounter slowdowns possibly requiring a reboot. I would recommend you keep things simple at first, sticking with the native apps and drivers as much as possible. Would also hang on to your smart things hub - if you have certain devices that are troublesome on HE you can keep them on ST and connect to them via an awesome 3rd party app called "HubConnect"

Also keep in mind that HE is still relatively new and under active development - almost more of a beta feel than production. Certainly it is more mature than when I started with it but there are still quirks in the UI that may trip you up from time to time.

I've found that the community here is great (like it is/was for ST) and very helpful - do not be afraid to ask questions etc. We've all been through the learning curve.

1 Like

Hi,
Yeah, I was just creating my dashboards last night and sure do wish you could drag and drop the tiles around, holy cow, lol. Then go on to the next dashboard to repeat the same thing, lol. But yeah, I started with the simple lighting rule for dusk to dawn outside lights, and they came on and went off last night. Started on a couple routines I had setup with Webcore on ST, but now on RuleMaker, and it's definitely different, but in some ways similiar.

Former ST user here. One thing I've found (dashboards were really important to me with ST) is I rarely use dashboards anymore. I have 2 still - one in the living room and one on my nightstand, but they're just for information at this point. The automations in HE mostly eliminated the need for them (at least for me).

Welcome!

2 Likes