NEW: Built-in OTA Z-Wave device firmware updates

I've only updated Invoelli LZW36 and the file was on their website in the support section.

Right now, it seems to be a scavenger hunt. Aeotec has theirs on their website (see links on their support page for each device).

@dennypage has the recent Aeotec 1.02 update for the Range Extender 7 in his GitHub repo for a bug he found in the RE7 this past September (Aeotec support doesn’t seem to have posted the bug fix). Search the forum for @dennypage’s discussion on his driver release thread.

For Zooz, you have to file a support ticket and provide a copy of your purchase invoice. Innovelli has them on their support website. Bryan Copeland has some in his GitHub repo where his user-contributed firmware updater driver(s) were hosted.

1 Like

I had a successful FW update of an iBlinds motor today using the built-in FW updater.

Key difference seemed to be closing and then opening the blinds just before attempting the update. I'm going to try a few more (have five blinds that need updating), but this is encouraging. :slight_smile:

Update on three other blinds:

A blind connected w/S2 Auth did not want to update, so I excluded it from HE, added it to my UZB stick in PC Controller, updated, and then brought it back to HE. I added it w/no security back on HE and expect things to be better in that setup. The FW transfer to it when it was connected via S2 Auth was agonizingly slow, to the point that it looked frozen.

Another blind updated w/out issue. Third is in process and looks like it will go OK.

It does seem that the folowing steps are making my updates consistenly successful:

• Open and close the blinds to ensure they are "awake" before I start. Not 100% sure it's required, but when a blind was not responding to the FW updater to provide the target info, doing that made it work
  • Uninstall and re-install the FW updater after each blind. It just doesn't seem to like to do two updates in a row. Starting clean seems to help. When I've tried to do multiple in a row the issue has been that the blind doesn't respond to the request for the target.

One thing that could be improved is

The screens/messaging can be confusing. The update process goes from transferring the FW, to Complete, and then on to the third screen below without input. If you you aren't watching and come back when it's on the third screen it's not clear that the update completed successfully.

But it's working! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This FW update didn't go well. It stalled at 66% and just sat there, no more juice. I aborted it and decided I'd reboot my hub to see if that helped w/the FW update tool.

Hub came back up and the blind had lost routing, Z-Wave devices were lagging severely or not responding. Tried Refresh on Z-Wave details page multiple times and it would not come back. Used Remove to remove it.

Reset the device and paired it to UZB and did FW update that way, then added back to HE and it's working.

Don't know if the FW updater was the reason why the blinsds were bounced off the mesh, but they had been working w/out issue beforehand.

I'm trying to find it but can anyone point me in the right direction? Por favor?

Be aware that there are two versions, both with the same name, both with the same version number, in that thread. See my post here in that thread:

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning the exclude/include for Zooz devices. Only bad thing is you have to also remove them and re-add to all apps again.

If I'm doing only a couple of these, I create virtual switches and swap them in and out... Keeps from having any broken rules... Not that they can't be fixed.

3 Likes

So just try to update my zooz switches for the first time using this tool. I started with one of my switches, zooz26, to test the tool. Everything went well with the update and it was completed successful but the hub was not reporting the new firmware even after I restarted the hub. I found this discussion where a exclusion and inclusion is mentioned to be necessary for zoon switches, so I did the exclusion, but my hub just reported "unknown device excluded" but device was still present on my devices list and on the zwave details page but not responding at all anymore. I forced delete it from the devices page but on the zwave detail I still see this.

I tried repairing, refreshing and nothing. I included again and the switch is working fine now and hub is showing the new firmware but I still have this on my zwave details page. Is there any way to fix this, deleted for good so it wont show this when the switch has been included again and is a different node now. Now I am not sure about to continue updating the rest of my zooz switches. I will appreciate any help. thanks.

1 Like

Same with zigbee please :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a ghost node (unsuccessful pairing, no in, out clusters) and must be deleted. It will mess up your mesh until it is gone. You will not be able to delete it as long as the hub can ping it, which means you need to remove power to the device. Then, hit refresh and repair a few times for that device until remove button appears. Then you should be able to remove it.

Then, shutdown your hub cleanly (settings, shutdown) to red light, power off at the wall plug (not micro USB, which is fragile and can break the solder joints to the PC board), leave power off for 30 seconds, power up again, boot to green light. This is the only way to reboot the Z-Wave radio, which stays powered if power is applied to the hub.

Now try again to pair the device.

3 Likes

With Zooz switches, after the FW update is complete you should do a factory reset on the switch ...

Tap-tap-tap&hold for 10 seconds on the upper paddle. Hold it until the blue light flashes briefly. This clears any pairing info in the switch so you don’t need to go through the exclude process.

Then in HE, remove the device, the force remove. This will remove the device without creating a ghost node.

Then re-include. Easy Peasy 100% repeatable.

But as @672southmain has stated, you must take care of your new ghost node first.

Edit: another method that is on the lazier side that I confess I like to do. After performing the reset on the switch, kill power to the switch and hit repair in the zwave details page until it pops up as failed, then use the replace feature and re-include it. It means it retains the same DNI and you don’t have to edit any rules.

6 Likes

They really need to get away from this.. I bought my zooz stuff on Amazon, and can't remember when to go back and look for the invoices. The running joke in our house is every time we see an Amazon plane fly over (about 10 times a day) its my wife's next order coming in.

3 Likes

You can look in your account on Amazon and see all your past orders, by year.

3 Likes

But it’s still a PIA.

Nice thing is your support tickets stay there so you can make reference to an old ticket with the invoice data.

3 Likes

It's more a matter of going through all of it. like I alluded to. plane loads!! Plus I don't remember what year I bought them, 16, 17, or 18ish. It's still a bad policy. So if someone buys a zooz product second hand, say from here in the group, they can't get the firmware updates because they don't have the invoice? If all they have to do is tell Zooz "I bought it from Joe blow" and they provide the firmware update, then why even have such a labor intensive process to begin with?

2 Likes

:man_shrugging: But it’s better than GE/Jasco, Schlage, or any of the others that won’t release firmware updates even when the Z-Wave certification features sheet says “customer OTA firmware updatable.”

3 Likes

It's a requirement that you be able to OTA.. It's not a requirement that you give out firmware..

7 Likes

Somewhere there is a lawyer laughing his *** off...

8 Likes

:no_mouth: