New Bathroom - Smart Exhaust Fan Recommendations?

1. Smart exhaust fan vs dumb exhaust on a smart switch
  2. If smart exhaust - recommendations?

New bathroom with steam shower…

I'm guessing the second option is going to give you many more choices. You want a pretty strong fan with a steam shower, and you might not find such a smart fan. I'm guessing it would be much cheaper, and sometimes you want a manual switch.

Be careful with smart outlets, my exhaust fan fried my tradfri outlet.

From my limited research:

"Connecting inductive loads like motors and compressors to standard IOT devices can be hit or miss. Some handle them fine, others fail prematurely due to the high startup current spikes."

1 Like

I run a bathroom fan on an in wall smart switch. I use Bathroom Humidity Fan in HPM which works fabulously for me.

1 Like

Dumb fan connected to smart switch would be your best solution. Have mine connected to a Lutron Caseta switch. Both exhaust fans and ceiling fans.

Inovelli just came out with a fan switch. That is what I have for my fans. It also has speed control, but for exhaust fans, setting it to the max would probably be the best option.

I also have a humidity sensor in the bathroom and one in a reference room. Fan turns on if humidity is up more than the reference room, plus a threshold value.

1 Like

I like inovelli and have approx 10 of their devices. But they are to damn expensive.

Zooz is way more cost effective and a $10 snubber will eliminate any “inductive load” issues.

Correction. A $4 snubber

1 Like

Interesting! I didn’t even know that this existed!

1 Like

I wasn’t aware until a month ago when this topic came up again. I DIYed my own RC snubbers for my three exhaust fans.

2 Likes

Panasonic bathroom fans are very quiet and powerful. They are not naturally smart but very easy to get them smart with extra speed control module.

3 Likes

+1 for dumb exhaust fan with smart switch.

Probably not essential to get a “fan” switch unless changing the fan speed is important to you.

Just check the specs to confirm a switch is rated for the load of the fan motor you want to use.

2 Likes

As others have suggested, go with a dumb fan and smart switch.

In our new house there was no exhaust fan in the master bathroom (not required by code if there is a window) and humidity in the bathroom and adjoining bedroom was really a problem. Looked at the "smart" fans but decided to go with a dumb in-attic fan. It's much quieter than a normal bathroom fan and all you see on the ceiling is a small round vent.

For control I use an Inovelli fan switch, along with temp/humidity sensors and the Smarter Humidity Fan app. Works like a charm, and one of the few things that I never need to fiddle with. It just works and humidity in the bathroom is no longer a problem.

2 Likes

Another option, probably best for existing bathrooms (e.g., not yours): A dumb exhaust fan on a dumb switch appropriate to handle the load. Then use this device from Thirdreality to flip the switch. It works with either a toggle or Decora switch.

https://www.3reality.com/online-store/Third-Reality-Smart-Switch-Gen3-Zigbee-Version-p381658008

Manual: https://www.3reality.com/gen3switchzb

I have one and it paired as a Generic Zigbee Switch, and then just worked. I installed it over the dumb switch already controlling the exhaust fan in our bathroom.

It is powered by 2 AAA batteries, and the Generic Zigbee Switch doesn't report battery status.

1 Like

My plan is to use a Zooz ZEN30 double switch in bathrooms. Use the paddle dimmer for the lights in the bathroom and the relay to manually control the fan. I will probably also have a humidity sensor to control the fan based on humidity, i.e., have rules to automatically turn the fan on/off based on the humidity sensor readings.

+1 on the Panasonic exhaust fans. They are powerful and quiet, but expensive compared to most of the big box store exhaust fans. They also have a lot of options depending on the model.

You are not buying these fans every day. Maybe just once in many years to come. In my case for things like these the functionality and performance takes over the price unless the price is unreasonably high.

1 Like

I bought eight of them for a new home last year. Average price was around $250, so it was a big expenditure. Even though I think it was worth it because we plan on this being our last home, the typical American homebuyer moves around quite a bit so they may disagree.

Interesting. About a year ago I spent only ~$130 for most powerful one plus a speed control module for my new apartment.

Most of mine were like this one...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Panasonic-WhisperCeiling-DC-fan-with-LED-lights-Pick-A-Flow-Speed-Selector-50-80-or-110-CFM-and-Flex-Z-Fast-install-bracket-FV-0511VQL1/303672801

...which is $250.

Fan specific smart switch...