New App (2.0)- Won't stay logged in

This occurs on both my phone and my tablet. I searched, and did not see any matches for this issue.
(I did see a few about the new dashboards, which I do not use; and about presence sensing, which appears to stay working even when I am logged out):

Device and App Info
Phone Samsung S23 Ultra, SM-918Um Android 14, Baseband S918USQS3CXE, June 1 security patch update

Tablet Samsung Tab S9 Ultra, SM-X910, Android 14, Build UP1A,231005,007,X910XXS3BXE1, May 1 security patch update (latest)

Hubitat C7, 2.3.9.157

Hubitat Elevation App - Version 2.0(234) - June 10 update (Play Store doesn't find any updates)

Default Browser Vivaldi version 6.7.3335.149

ISSUE Description and background

So, decided to try the new version of the app out.

Followed the same process on both devices. I dowloaded the new app on both my tablet and phone.

I signed out of the old app, force closed it, then cleared cache and data. Then removed it from my locked apps in recent.

Went into the app info settings and gave ALL permissions. Then went to device care, Battery, Background usage limits, and added the new app to "never sleeping apps". Then Device Care, Memory, I added the new app to the excluded list. After all that, I went to the app info settings again, and changed the battery to "unsrestricted."

I opened the app, signed in with "remember" checked. Then selected the device I was replacing. Then, turned on geofencing and changed the settings.

Clicked the home icon so that it would minimize, clicked recents, and locked the app to stay open on the devices.

I opened the app to make sure it was working. Clicked on geofencing to verify that, and it said I had to enable it again so I did. Thought it odd that it did not save the first time. (NOTE: This happened on BOTH devices). Closed the app and reopened a few times and the geofence appeared to retain its memory now.

Everything seemed to work well until a few hours later, I had returned home, and the app notified my phone as normal. I opened the app to find that I had been logged out. But, the log in credentials were saved. So, I just clicked the "log in button" and then I had to go through the process of selecting the device and verifying geolocation again. I did all that. Then closed and opened the app several times to verify it stuck. Went to my tablet where I was also logged out, and did the same.

Checked several times through the rest of the evening, and I was still logged in. So, I thought problem solved.

However, this morning, I was logged out on both devices AGAIN and had to log in and select the device AGAIN. This time, the geofence was remembered as were my favorites settings. NOTE: I was still receiving device notifications. So, the device connection was still there.

The devices were still locked to open in recents, so they did not get closed. It appears to be logging out even though it is open. I verified in my default browser settings that cookies and passswords ARE NOT set to be deleted on cleans. (If they were, my credentials and preferences would likely have been gone as well).

So, now I am at a loss. Am I the only one having to continually log in to the app?

Edited to add, I had just logged in again before writing this post. I had opened the app to look at a few devices. Then, clicked the "X" at the top left to exit the hub connection and the login screen promptly appeared again. Had to choose the hub and device AGAIN.

1 Like

You are not the only one. It happens on both iOS and Android. While it doesn't have a negative impact on app's functionality, it sure is less than ideal user experience. This issue is on our engineers' radar to fix in a future update, but I do not have a time-frame when this might get resolved.

2 Likes

Just making sure I was not missing a setting somewhere or that it might be related to the default browser. Will hold off installing the new app on the wife's phone. I don't mind it as a minor inconvenience. But, she rolls her eyes at me anytime she has to do anything technical after updates to apps (like clearing the cache after system updates..... ).

Is there a drop dead date for decomming the old app? We have travel coming up and would rather not have to do that while we are away.

1 Like

Installed apps will continue to run, however the old app is scheduled to be removed from the Google Play Store on July 31st (assuming that all "show-stoppers" that may force users to continue to use the old app are resolved).

2 Likes