Networx NX-8E Alarm Panel Integration

I am hoping to integrate my alarm panel with Hubitat. I have seen a couple of options:

Konnected.io boards - kind of pricey and complicated
LeeFl / Alarm Bridge - info is not clear on this but could be an option .. still seems a bit overcomplicated

I was previously using Home Assistant and there is a NX584 integration using pynx584. I already have the pynx584 server installed on a Rpi zero connected over serial port to the NX-8E. It seems like this is a very simple solution but I don't see any type of Hubitat driver for pynx584.

Wondering if it is possible to port the HA integration to be a Hubitat driver/app. Or if the better route is to use one of the other solutions, what is the next least complicated.

Thanks!

Or you can integrate it with Home Assistant and bring into Hubitat using Home Assistant Device Bridge.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to move away from HA to a simpler system and no annual cost to use Alexa. HE has been a bit less capable and slick, but I have been dealing with it because some of the features are much more simple. Managing zwave devices, home/away modes, etc. just seem to be better integrated/thought out in HE. If I need to keep HA up and running I am back to having things a bit overly complicated but it may be the solution until I can either move away from certain technology or live without it. Again, I appreciate the suggestion.

So there's a lot of us who use HA in conjunction with HE. If you export your HA devices to HE using HADB, you can use HE to expose them to Alexa (for free).

2 Likes

@Heatvent - I agree with @aaiyar for the HADB solution in your situation. Consider that the other solutions are going to require a separate system as well, you really don't gain any simplicity with them versus HA and HADB -> HE. The important thing to remember is this solution merely treats HA like a bridge for devices. There's really nothing to do once it's up and running, aside from security updates, but those would be required with any other bridge.

What's great about the HADB solution is it's not just a bridge for a single device. It can be used for multiple different vendors and integrations. Opens up a lot of devices that you wouldn't otherwise be able to use with HE.

1 Like

Thanks, it is working as a bandaid for now. Now I am considering if I go the other direction. Use HA as my primary and use HE as a zwave device to control lights, etc. Main reason being the HA dashboard/interface is much more polished and user friendly. Devices show up as toggles with additional control if you click on them which is a much better use of screen real estate. The HE dashboard, while functional, is very manual and difficult to display a lot of devices unless using a large screen with high resolution. This should let me use HE to access alexa for voice control of most of the devices I care about.