Network Setup

What's a good way to setup a wifi network to build a hubitat system on?

Right now, I have 2 samsung smartthing water sensors, with 4 zooz switches on the way. I also plan to add some Kasa ks400 outdoor switches I already have to hubitat when I get more comfortable with hubitat. Additionally, we have an ecobee and ring doorbell/security.

Should I put a 2nd router in, and have the automation on the 2nd network? I'm concerned about security of the network, in addition to robustness of the wifi. I'm more home diy than IT guru, so sorry if these are pretty basic questions.

Thanks.

It sounds like you’re unfamiliar with the differences between WiFi, z-wave and zigbee.

I’d suggest reading an article like this one for starters:

Don’t take all their conclusions about what’s “better” as gospel, but if you don’t know how to distinguish between those three wireless protocols, your foray into home automation will not start off on the right foot.

3 Likes

It does sound that you are a bit confused about Z-Wave vs WiFi. Maybe you aren't. Maybe your question is more around security of the devices like the Kasa that are reaching out to the cloud? Please do let us know if we're off base. Not meaning to offend, but probably don't have enough info to give you a complete answer.

The reality is, if you separate with a physical barrier (separate router) or you separate with a VLAN, this is often impractical because you have to constantly switch to the other network when you want to control your devices from your phone unless you always intend to use the cloud links to device (very slow). If your setup is fully automated, then it can be more practical.

Personally, I have abandoned the idea of segmenting my networks. I instead use a router that haa built-in attack prevention (TP-Link Deco M5) and I only add reputable WiFi devices to my network. I do have a Eufy camera that I'm not sure I totally trust since their servers are in China, and that indeed is on a separate router because the only access I need to that is cloud anyway. I also have an Aqara hub, but I only communicate with that via HomeKit, so that's a local WiFi connection. I block its access to the internet and the paired devices still work in HomeKit.

2 Likes

The second part with respect to segmenting the networks was more what I was getting at. A coworker has built out a smart home, but complains about the wifi congestion. I was hoping to avoid that while at the early stages of building out my system, and also want to avoid any security/privacy risks (eg I won't have cameras inside the house). I didn't realize there was attack prevention built into routers now, so maybe I need to look into that.

The majority of devices that folks use with HE are either zigbee or zwave. Neither connect to your wifi network so wifi congestion is not an issue. There are definitely people out there who understand zwave and zigbee security better than I... but there are security risks with any setup. It's all about how to manage and mitigate the risk.

1 Like

You can setup vlans instead of adding a second router! Is that what you are asking of ?

I am in the amidst of finalizing my home network and all home smart stuff is on a different vlan that i access through a vpn.

Zigbee will cause interference with your 2.4ghz wifi network as thats the spectrum it uses. I like zwave for automation because it uses 908 mhz system and has no interference with 2.4 wifi network.

2 Likes

This picture pleases me, my home rack is a mess. Must sort mine out.

3 Likes

@brad5
That's a good chunk of what I'm trying to wrap my head around and mitigate/manage the risk.

@salmanslim Wanna come over and do my place?! :slight_smile: Seriously nice.

I had not considered/realized a vlan was an option, and yes, that was kinda what I'm getting at. Also, the info about the zigbee vs z-wave spectrum is what I was wondering.

So to clarify, you’re wondering how to protect the other devices on your LAN from potential threats related to IoT devices that connect with WiFi (or Ethernet)?

That can get complicated, but the solution to WiFi “robustness” is somewhat simpler. Don’t use WiFi for home automation devices if you don’t have to. If you do have to, then depending on the number of devices, you may need more than one WiFi access point to accommodate them.

2 Likes

If you are in norcal then sure i will setup your system lol :joy:.

Are you adding zigbee or zwave devices?

I started off my home automations with wifi then chopped off that idea and moved to zigbee. Finally, i have settled on zwave plus.

Since zwave talks to a hub, a single connected device to my data network that can easily be protected and that hub talks to devices over 908mhz radio frequency.

Wifi devices are a little more complicated since they all connect to the data network.

1 Like