Network Monitoring

I stand corrected. Silly me was looking in the DHCP section. I just checked the UDM I am setting up for next week and you can do it there too.

If you know of a way stack Geo filtering and "Allow" rules I would love to use USG. I know Geo filtering is still fairly new for them (still beta), so hopefully it will be worked out.

1 Like

I think that's exactly what it is.

As I recall, to assign a dhcp reservation for a device, I let it obtain a dhcp address, and then click "make static".

I'm certainly not a networking guru, but I think that's essentially a dhcp reservation.

Wait. That's not in UniFi, I have an EdgeRouter, perhaps it behaves differently....interesting.

S.

Update: according to This article: https://www.stephenwagner.com/2019/05/07/static-ip-vs-dhcp-reservation/amp/
What my EdgeRouter does is a DHCP reservation because its assigning a static IP based on the MAC address through a DHCP request. A static IP on the other hand would be applied on the device network interface, not by the router.

I'm a little surprised that the Unifi products wouldn't use the same model....

Disregard! I see @TechMedX replied as I was writing my response!

1 Like

No I have to take back my take back. I thought what @ogiewon would do it but it does NOTHING. When I connect to the network it still gives me a random IP. I think it is Unifi's way of saying ok you are using a static IP so I won't give that one out, but it will not hand it out based on MAC from what I see.

Can anyone else running Unifi confirm or deny? I am going to do some more testing as well, but for now I "added" IP 192.168.111, and it is given me IP 40.

Some routers will continue issuing the original DHCP address until the original lease expires, or the router is restarted. Just an idea.

2 Likes

To be fair, I just converted a dynamic lease into a dhcp reservation. I didn't try to "set" an address. So my test doubly may not apply to the USG.

S.

Rebooting UDM seems to have done it. I reboot my computer, and it did not help, but after booting the UDM it did assign me 111.

Now if I could just keep 99% China and Russia out, I would go USG tomorrow.

3 Likes

No need for me to eat lunch I am full from eating my words.

I played with the Geo filter more last night, and it is much better already. Before you could only block or allow 5 countries, now it seems unlimited (clicking the map 1000x gets old).

Unifi has also released a new (Jan 2020) firmware update (UDM-Pro only for now) that adds a "White List" feature. Presumably this will override the Geo filter settings :crossed_fingers: Anyone out there running a UDM-Pro that can confrim?