Network Engineers: What's the difference

To all Network Engineers (or those who really know):
What's the real difference between factory reset and exclusion on a switch?
(After trying to exclude and then include 3 times, and failing, I decided to factory reset, then include. No problem. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.)

This varies by manufacturer. For some, a factory reset does not accomplish exclude, and for some it does. Irrespective of that issue, the device may need to be excluded from the controller to prevent a ghost device from remaining on the controller, This isn't the case if the old controller is being abandoned.

So, best practice is going to be to exclude the device using the controller first. Then, for some devices (as you discovered), do a factory reset. Most Z-Wave controller devices can cause a device to exclude (forget its controller association). For example, an Aeon Minimote or Z-Stick can be used to exclude a device.

Some devices are just really hard to work with in this regard (thinking older GE/Jasco devices). They can be a bear to get to exclude, and have different reset steps. They won't join a new controller until they have been successfully excluded.

Thanks for the prompt response.

May I also add:
The support that I (and others) have received from you, and other members of staff, has been great!
It's a prime competitive advantage that you have over other competitors - keep up the good work!

4 Likes