Nest Presence

Does anyone know if enabling Nest Presence will cause a faster drain on a battery type Nest Protect? Maybe someone with experience using an unofficial Nest integration could confirm if the presence detection always sends updates instantly via WiFi, regardless of this setting?

I know that they do try to conserve power by recording and storing the presence history and only uploading to their server once per day.

The presence sensor is in the thermostat. That should be getting charged via your common wire. Drain shouldn't be an issue at all.

Thanks. However I was asking about a battery powered Nest Protect, not the thermostat.

Since the integration is monitoring presence at the termostat it shouldn't affect battery life of the protects at all as they will report to the thermostat and then to hubitat. At least that's my understanding.

Also, this is a Nest cloud integration. So, anything Hubitat does should only impact the Nest's cloud servers, unless you change a setting on a thermostat. I really doubt that reading the Nest Presence data actually causes a call to the physical device in your home. It is possible, but highly unlikely, IMHO.

Thanks however, I do not own a nest thermostat. I just have the battery powered Nest Protect smoke and CO alarm. I am presented with the option in HE to use the presence detection. If I don't own a nest thermostat, I won't be able to use the presence detection feature of the nest protect?

When you open the Nest App on your SmartPhone, do you see a "Home" or "Away" status anywhere? If not, then I wouldn't bother trying Hubitat's Nest presence detection feature.

I only have Nest Thermostats, no Nest Protects. My understanding is that the Protects simply augment the Nest Thermostat's data for determining Auto-Away. But my knowledge on this specific topic is not really up to date... :wink:

1 Like

Again, the presence sensor is in the thermostat. There are no presence sensors in the protect.

Correct, no thermostat = no presence sensor.

There is presence detection used in the Nest Protects for Pathlight and formerly, the wave to cancel feature which was removed. Some research turned up information that the presence detection is captured, stored and transmitted once per day to use with a predictive algorithm. Not clear if it's in the thermostat or an Alphabet cloud instance.

They use a Thread layer to send data to the thermostats by way of 802.15.4 LR-WPAN
on a Zigbee chip. It may be that the stored presence info is sent both to a nest thermostat and the cloud instance. I know for sure it's sent to the cloud, because I'm always able to view the presence history the next day via the app.

I've had my Nest Protect for years, but after a major app update a few days ago, my Protect went offline and I reset it in an attempt to get it reconnected, so that's why my history show below is so short. However, as you can see, presence is captured and logged.

1 Like