Nest is shutting down the Works with Nest API

I'd bet decent money that this will also be paving the way for Google Home Routines.

...and this from a "Google Nest" email I received this morning:

nestemail

Hmm, smart home partners? Translation: companies who have paid us integration fees?

I wish I could say this surprises me. I almost went with Nest Protects after Halo went under but didn't feel comfortable buying into the Google ecosystem. Google is not a trustworthy company, especially in the Home Automation space (see Revolv).. This is a d**k move that is nothing more than to push adpotion of Google home and hurt other platforms.

4 Likes

Got an email from IFTT last night and just now from Lutron saying their integrations with Nest will stop working.

This is nuts.

Anyone find a good smoke/co detector that works with HE that doesn't look like crap?

4 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

That is not what I am saying. You misunderstand.

Google wants to be the IFTTT, themselves. I am not talking about using IFTTT.

According to Mike Soucie, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Google

Moving forward, partners are no longer going to be able to access specific Nest data. They're going to have to rely on the Works with Google Assistant platform to create routines with Nest products."

Now, rather than having multiple platforms and ecosystems control Nest devices, we're bringing it all under the Works with Google Assistant ecosystem, a single controller for all your Nest, Google, and third-party devices.

You guys are using your jump to conclusions mat. Google is bumbling this roll out and not being clear. I am not saying these sources are correct but since we have until August let's wait for what is really going on.

2 Likes

Even if you are right that means having to buy a google assistant. Not gonna happen here.

2 Likes

Yes, the Min Off Time (MOT) and Min Run Time (MRT) are configurable on that model.

MOT=5-9 minutes (5 is default)
MRT=1-9 minutes (3 is default)

@cstory777 it doesn’t actually say anywhere you will need to buy a Google Assistant. You will have to have a google account though to develop the integrations. To me, it’s saying they are bringing together a lot of disparate hubs and systems into one

It's literally called "Works with Google Assitant". The name implies it.

We'll have to see it might be worse or it might not.

It might be worse in that we might be required to buy the google hub max? You know their local processing with thread capability.

It might be better in that "Works with Google Assistant" is a rebrand for "Works with Nest". They want (it appears) to have one account for both ecosystems. So no more Nest account to log in with.

According to Mike:

The goal is to match the level of feature parity that Works with Nest enabled,” says Soucie. “We're not quite there yet. We're working on it and we believe that we'll have that parity by the end of the year.

You might not be required to buy anything but just make a google account. We'll see.

Google Assistant accounts aren't some new account, they are just a google email. But no one can say for sure how exactly this system will work.

1 Like

No matter what you may or may not have to buy, this is a real d**k move by Google. That alone has me looking for replacements for my Nest devices.

It's not called "Works With Google Assistant Accounts", it's called "Works With Google Assistant" which means the device is required.

If it is true that I have to buy another product or I can't connect my Hubitat, I will look into replacing my Nest devices.

But I enjoy my Nest products and it doesn't appear to be as bad as people are making it out to be.
It appear to be just bad communication and a poor roll out.

However since there is just a lot of speculation and questions, I'm going to wait and see. It might be something else entirely so I'm willing to wait.

It is just a lot of money and work for me to rush out and buy new products when the facts aren't all here yet.

You can install Google assistant for free on your phone or tablet. Everything from Google really runs in their cloud anyway. The Google Assistant App on your phone, or a Google Home Mini, are really just physical manifestations of the Google Cloud infrastructure.

@helene7t7 - I hope you're right... but everything that has been stated by Google is that no other systems will be able to directly control Nest devices, nor collect data from those devices. So, I am not very hopeful whatsoever.

2 Likes

I don't know at all! I don't want people to say 3-4 months later OMG Helene was wrong. All I am saying is that we don't know and that rushing to buy new products today might not be the best idea.

I am just saying let's wait until there is more information before making decisions.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.....unfortunately I need longer than 9 minutes so it doesn't appear that one would work for me.

The sad part is that Nest made a nice product. And now anyone not full into Google will be tempted to dump them.

But it's not the end of the world. My house has 2 HVAC systems. Both used to be Nest controlled. I had to dump one as a new HVAC variable speed system wasn't compatible. I haven't missed the Nest as the new thermostat is accessible to HE too. At the end of the day, the Nest wasn't really adding a whole lot as I set the schedules mostly manually anyway.

The Protects are really nice and nice looking. I have about 7 years left in their lives. Their integration is probably more important from a monitoring/alerting perspective. And easily added to HE with an audio coupler.

So, it's sad, but not the end of the world.

1 Like

It might say “Works with Google Assistant” but that doesn’t mean you have to buy new kit. The kit is one way to access Google Assistant, not the only way to access it. Google Assistant isn’t tied exclusively to a specific device

1 Like

You're missing the point. I do not want Google Assitant, period. I'd toss out my Echos if it weren't for 3 things... I have the amazon cams, ring doorbell and Apple Homepod won't, yet, allow chaining of "news" sources that it will read when instructed to.

It's been put out in black and white that no other devices will be allowed to control or get data from Nest devices. It doesn't get any clearer than that.