[Built-In] Nest Hello Doorbell Integration

At the request of @vjv I am starting a new topic to discuss the integration of the Nest Hello Doorbell Camera.
Using the Native HE Nest App after I got my Client ID and Client Key I was able to log into nest.
The Nest Hello Doorbell shows up as a Nest Camera. There are no doorbell pressed events as far as I can tell. That would be a nice addition.

I actually primary wanted to do this because I wanted to set the mode of Nest to match that of Hubitat.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll post some screenshots of the buttons and statuses.

Edit: Here's a screenshot of the device:

1 Like

Could you post your results with nest hello? I had one hello when they were released but the continuous upload was a bad idea in the moment so I put back my ring pro, plus the monthly payment was excessive compared with ring $10 for unlimited cameras and now pro monitoring for the alarm. Thanks

Updated the first post with a screenshot and some more info of the lack of a Doorbell pressed event.
What kind of questions do you have?

1 Like

It works as a motion sensor for HE not using ifttt? Do you have google home hub?

It does work as a motion sensor right in HE without the use of IFTTT.

I have a Google Home Hub. The second I press the doorbell the camera shows up on the Google Home Hub screen. It's pretty nifty.

I pay $5/mo for 5 days of storage.

Dang, could you see if the continuous recording can be disabled? Comcast is not unlimited and the hello almost get me over the quota.

Thanks

1 Like

I didn't see an option to turn off continuous recording.
If you don't pay for the Nest Aware plan I think it will be off.
But you won't get rich notifications.

You can put the bandwidth setting down lower.
Here's a screenshot:

Here's an archived Reddit Post:

I will open a ring and install a wyze inside.....

2 Likes

That's neat feature - I wonder if the Ring does a similar thing on Amazon's Echo Show device... Looks like you can test for "motionPerson" as well that's cool.

I've installed the doorbell for a client and she's been very happy with the whole system so far (no HE but I'm working on it!).

I do prefer the record on motion as opposed to continuous motion as it takes up less bandwidth. Though Google is probably only sending compressed deltas of images during low motion times.

With the Ring - I am paying $100 a year for unlimited devices - I have 3 now with maybe one more on the way and at least 3 months of video storage.. The cameras work well but I think Google's are a bit better.

1 Like

Yea Nest might be per device, which I don't like myself.
The Doorbell just kind of knocked it out of the park with the Google Home Hub integration.

I wish I could turn off notifications if it sees certain people, like me. Maybe my wife if I get tired of seeing it. Guests it's great to see them come through as notifications though.

I think I'll use Wyze for everything else.

I don't suppose the recent Google announcement about a local SDK means a hubitat integration with the hello doorbell is possible now does it?

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering the same for Home Assistant. I don’t know if they finally released it though the podcasts made it sound like more talk.

Hello, is this integration still working?

This was the old works with nest integration.
The program was shutdown a while ago and the integration was removed from Hubitat when it was.
They did release a new API but I don’t know if there’sa Hubitat integration for that. Home Assistant just released one but it’s no cake walk.
Mines up and running again.