Need help with random devices not responding

Every few days, one or two of my devices does not come on or go off. My mesh consists of 24 devices, all Z-Wave Plus.

The devices that do not go on/off/dim seems completely random. It happens in different RM's. I looked at my mesh, I've got 16 direct and the rest through repeaters. Only one device goes through 2 hops, the rest are all one hop.

I don't know what's going on. I'm assuming it's a signal strength issue, but the device that did not turn on this morning is line of sight to the hub in the same room. It has an RSSI of 19dB. It shows 6 route changes currently.

Just looking for some hints or tips to troubleshoot this problem. Thanks.

Sounds like a case of secure devices arguing with the hub, and the hub saying I don't understand you, can you say that again, still not coming through, say that again, please. :rofl: How many of your devices are S2/S0?

All devices were included without security.

1 Like

What model is your hub?

It's a C7 with latest firmware and radio firmware installed.

Show us the routing info for your Z-Wave protocol (Settings, Z-Wave Details) in a screenshot, and maybe one of the experts (not me) can spot something.

Here's my routing info. Maybe this will help.

What model are those Zooz 0x43 and 0x38? Probably the Zen25?

Those are both Zen34's.

We've had reports of Leviton devices having a "latency" problem. Also, most of your switches have power reporting capabilities. If power is running wild on a few of those, that could be your problem.

1 Like

I don't use power reporting. In fact I had no idea that any of my switches have this feature. I don't see anything related to power reporting in the device preferences. Can you tell me which of my switches have this, and how I can turn it off? Thanks.

Enable the debug logging on each device and see how chatty your devices are by screening the Logs.

Here is a list of all my devices and their mfg/model number. Can you tell me which ones are power reporting devices? And more importantly, how do I turn it off? I don't see that configuration option in any of the device details. Thanks.

The Zen34s are known to spam the hub with battery reports intermittently. One of them doing that is enough to cause a 6–10 second delay in response time for other devices. Check the events from each device’s page. There is a firmware update for it (1.30).

1 Like

I enabled debug logging on all devices. I got a burst of 7 messages of "parse:zw device: 3A, command: 7006, payload: 0B 01 01 , isMulticast: false" with a changing payload value from a Zen71. Also looking at events it seems the debug option will be turning off for all devices in about 45 minutes. Is this normal?

Yes. Luckily you can set them all at once using the “Preference Manager” instead of having to do it one device at a time.

Both of the Zen34's are at v1.3, but one is dumping about a dozen battery reports intermittently, while the other is doing a few hundred reports at a time. I am going to try and exclude both of them and see what happens.

2 Likes

It seems a lot of the zooz stuff has probs spamming the mesh....