Need help with MQTT bridge with Home Assistant

You playing hard to get ?... what app are you using on HE and what ‘transport’ from HA ?

I agree with you. I'm also curious why someone would use HA for if you have HE? MQTT I can get, but HA?

As I said I use it for raincloud... my irrigation system

I use HA with MQTT to HE for my sense energy monitoring.

Funny thing... I can't write drivers for HE but I managed working code here:

Though it is very limited.. maybe we can answer your questions.

What is confusing?

@anon61068208 I get why you use HA at the moment. But if an integration with HE is made, would you still need HA?

Nope and I'm so busy I don't have the time to port or figure out how to get raincloud into HE

1 Like

.. you're playing hard to pin down.. for some reason.

I'm not playing hard... I guess I'm just tired and my brain isn't working top notch this weekend

1 Like

Hi all,
I am trying to get that bridge to MQTT working. I want to establish a connection to my broker that is running on my RPi. so I followed the instructions from here. Everything seems to work but my broker never receives any message. Actually I do not even know what topi I should listen to. So i listening to # to make sure to not miss anything. But I can´t see anything coming in besides the messages from my Shelly devices.
I have an Aqara temperature sensor setup in Hubitat and want this information to go over to my Broker.
Below is a screenshot from my logs if that helps.

Thanks for any help on this

If you can wait there’s an app for that coming around Xmas that will make it much easier (beta).

@anon61068208 Found any spare time for this? Spring is coming. :wilted_flower: :sunflower: :seedling:

I have 3 of these and would love to have them in HE, (especially after the issues last fall)

Nope... I work full time now for Inovelli

@anon61068208 @TechMedX

So what’s the skinny on Raincloud on HE? I’m fine if Hass/Home Assistant is a dependency, but is there a guide on how to link this to HE? I’ve done nothing with MQTT, but supposedly this is better in HE than it was last year?

don't I wish. I still use their junky app. Reminds me I need to reset one of them AGAIN! I been contemplating the orbit hose timer that works with HE, but I have 9 zones and it would look horrible.

I'm looking at the Python implementation and have thrown together a quick and dirty API that an HE driver could call. Thinking would be to have 1 driver per zone, and you setup variables for the zones. Would need to have cron entries to pull status every so often - unsure if the Melnor systems could handle multiple logins per person. Here's my first cut at the API if you want to help - you can tell my python sucks; could probably eliminate much of this and put some calls into functions. I'll try and come up with a virtual valve driver soon so this can act similarly to the Iris Zigbee irrigation valve: GitHub - bdwilson/rainycloud-flask: Python Flask API version of Melnor Raincloud Access

Hey, give this a shot: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bdwilson/hubitat/master/Raincloud/Raincloud.groovy

If you have multiple valves, there is some work that has to happen to make it work. It's noted in the comments.

:exploding_head:

OMG did you really find a way to make them work on HE? OK so may project WAS setting up my second hub. Looks like I might have a new project.

WTF is python! lol I know, I know, when my wife asks me what something is my reply is the same "G. O. O. G. L. E." I have been resisiting setting up a Linux box, but for this I would.

Before I dive too deep into these uncharted waters you speak of let me tell of about my setup and make sure it will work. I have 2 controllers 1 has 1x 4 Valve unit, the second controller has 2x 4 Valve units. I don't use all 12 (9-10) but could at some point.

I was a network/systems administrator when I worked corp/gov world. I managed a couple Linux boxes but 90% GUI with some vi experience editing .conf files.

Given the above, should I embark on this endeavor or stick the sometimes dry shores of the Raincloud app?

Well, not yet. It only works on a single device, single valve. The author appears to have abandoned the underlying code. If you have a Raspberrypi you can run the Python API that accepts commands from the HE driver to open/close the valves. I've updated an issue thread to see if anyone is working on a fix - seems like there are a few HA users who use the Python API (GitHub - tchellomello/raincloudy: RainCloudy is a library written in Python 2.7/3.x that manages the Melnor RainCloud Smart Garden Watering Irrigation Timer.).

I realized last night that this still uses their severs. It seem like this automated the system via HE, but thru the raincloud server and if the boxes went down (as they often do) this still would not work. Is that accurate? If so I'm not sure that solves the issue for me (or that it can be solved).

Yep