Need help with MQTT bridge with Home Assistant

I would love to see a Hubitat rewrite eliminating the bridge component. It was necessary on ST but not needed on HE and causes issues.

BTW is your Hass.io addon an MQTT broker or the bridge part .. or both ?

it's just the bridge part, and I just packaged up the jeubanks version as an add-on. I made no mods to it at all. For the broker, I'm using the standard hass.io Mosquitto add-on.

So hubitat app -> hubitat device -> hubitat broker container on hass.io -> mosquitto container on hass.io -> HASS

The other things you need to do to get this stable are on the hubitat app side:

Modify line 47. Required should be false or you can never select the output device.

input "bridge", "capability.notification", title: "Notify this Bridge", required: false, multiple: false

Comment line 971:

//runEvery15Minutes(initialize)

I have set up this bridge now and got it running.
I have made en Viritual Temperaturesensor and trying to update it via MQTT.

This is what I find in the logs, but the sensor is not updating:
Received device event from bridge: [name:Billader temp, type:temperature, value:16, command:true]

Any idea on how to fix it?
On ST I ran the same bridge, en there I think I edited the VirTempsensor DH to be able to update it, but when I went from ST to Hubitat I deleted my account at ST...

@bill - I am slowly migrating off WINK 2 hub and moving to hubitat... I have been using Node-Red and HA for a year now... and would like to get this working.
Has there been any further developments on this integration piece?
I have MQTT broker installed on the HA part and its running on a ESXi Intel based server.

How would I install your bridge add-on?

1 Like

@jlvandusen as I said above, I didn't write the bridge, I just packed it up in container for hass.io. Is that what you're running on ESXi?

The layers get pretty damn complex. Containers inside a VM on an OS on Hardware.

Basically you need 3 pieces to make this work, one of which it sounds like you have:

1. You need the Hubitat MQTT Bridge app on your hubitat
  2. You need the Hubitat MQTT bridge for HA
  3. You need a mosquitto broker

the hubitat MQTT app sends device state to the MQTT bridge container on hass.io, which writes it to the mosquitto db, where its read by HA.

I'm not sure how well auto device discovery works on the HA end since I'm only using explicitly defined devices, but in theory it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to get HA to automagically populate with all your hubitat devices.

1 Like

This any use ?

Links bidirectionally with HA using MQTT statestream and will support the HA MQTT discovery protocol very soon

2 Likes

Wow, yes that certainly looks like it could be of use...

1 Like

Man this is confusing as hell...

The only thing I use HA for is my irrigation and I would like to add them to HE but I am stumped at this and I write drivers for HE !

What are you referring to ?
Home Assistant ?
My alpha MQTT app ?
Your MQTT driver / app ?

Linking Hassio to HE

You playing hard to get ?... what app are you using on HE and what ā€˜transportā€™ from HA ?

I agree with you. I'm also curious why someone would use HA for if you have HE? MQTT I can get, but HA?

As I said I use it for raincloud... my irrigation system

I use HA with MQTT to HE for my sense energy monitoring.

Funny thing... I can't write drivers for HE but I managed working code here:

Though it is very limited.. maybe we can answer your questions.

What is confusing?

@anon61068208 I get why you use HA at the moment. But if an integration with HE is made, would you still need HA?

Nope and I'm so busy I don't have the time to port or figure out how to get raincloud into HE

1 Like

.. you're playing hard to pin down.. for some reason.

I'm not playing hard... I guess I'm just tired and my brain isn't working top notch this weekend

1 Like

Hi all,
I am trying to get that bridge to MQTT working. I want to establish a connection to my broker that is running on my RPi. so I followed the instructions from here. Everything seems to work but my broker never receives any message. Actually I do not even know what topi I should listen to. So i listening to # to make sure to not miss anything. But I canĀ“t see anything coming in besides the messages from my Shelly devices.
I have an Aqara temperature sensor setup in Hubitat and want this information to go over to my Broker.
Below is a screenshot from my logs if that helps.

Thanks for any help on this

If you can wait thereā€™s an app for that coming around Xmas that will make it much easier (beta).