Need help with a rule for lights when Arm-Away

I am having trouble trying to figure out how to write a rule. When HSM arm-away is set I would like the lights to do specific things depending on the time of day, I would like the lights to follow this schedule until HSM is disarmed.

Daytime = Lights OFF
Nighttime = I will rotate various lights on and off

My initial trigger is HSM arm-away, but I don't know how to enact a lighting schedule based on time of day, that will keep on running until HSM is disarmed.

Any help is appreciated.

Most hubitat functionality comes from installed user written apps. There's one for vacation lighting that might fit your night mode random light use case.

I use modes to do my vacation mode. Because my modes automatically determine HSM status (HSM automatically sets to Arm-Away when one of my Away modes is set), I use them to trigger on instead of HSM Status. I find it easier as this way, the rule will run whenever the mode changes as opposed to firing once when HSM arms or disarms. What's cool about doing it this way is that I could setup all sorts of randomness into my lighting without introducing chaos.

1 Like

Thanks @corerootedxb looking at your rule I think I can make mine work.

@CB350 thanks for the suggestion, but I will have to respectfully disagree with the statement "Most hubitat functionality comes from installed user written apps". In my experience these apps usually led to more problems than they are worth, (there are some notable exceptions). Of all the functionality that Hubitat does in my home, 95% plus comes from built in apps and drivers and less than 5% comes from user apps and user driver code.
But your post definitely got me thinking if I am odd and whether or not a typical Hubitat user is using more user apps and user driver code vs. built in apps and drivers.

What % of your Hubitat functionality comes from Built-In Apps & Drivers vs User Created:

• 95% Built-in Apps & Drivers the rest user created
  • 80% - 95% Built-in Apps & Drivers the rest user created
  • 60% - 80% Built-in Apps & Drivers the rest user created
  • 50% - 60% Built-in Apps & Drivers the rest user created
  • 40% - 50% Built-in Apps & Drivers the rest user created
  • 20% - 40% Built-in Apps & Drivers the rest user created
  • 19% or less Built-in Apps & Drivers the rest user created

0 voters

Probably better to post this as a separate thread...otherwise you are limiting your reponses to those with HSM knowledge.

This has been on ongoing discussion among power users for awhile now. If you ask the HE staff members, they'll state that most common users use the built-in apps and drivers and rarely install 3rd party apps and drivers. A lot of power users disagree with that.

I tend to side with HE on this one. Most of your common users (that will never even touch the forums) are going to use what comes in the box, so to speak. Granted, these are also the users that have between 10-50 devices and are either just getting into home automation or are coming over from systems like Wink and Iris. Power users, like myself, who have upwards of 200+ devices are going to use more user defined code and apps.

For a fun experiment, pop into your local Best Buy and hang around the home automation section and listen to all the puzzled people that come there and have zero clue about what they want or need and just sit there scratching their heads in terms of home automation equipment.

Plus, what @stephack said. :wink:

2 Likes