Need help switching to Wifi connection

I've had my Hubitat hub connected via LAN. I added the tp-link wifi adapter, installed the drivers and rebooted the hub - both LAN and Wifi interfaces came up on the network. I was able to bring up the interface on the Wifi network with a browser and hitting that IP address.
I shutdown the hub and moved it to a new location. After it booted up, I am able to see it from my router that it is on my Wifi network, it has the same IP address, however, when I try to navigate to the IP address it times out. When I try to discover the hub from http://findmyhub.hubitat.com/ it's not found with either the IP address or the MAC address.

What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!
Greg

Don't know if this is your issue, but I recently moved a hub to a TP-Link WiFI adapter and could not get the hub to connect back to the correct IP address. What I found was the TP-LINK adaptor clones the MAC address. On the adapter MAC cloning could not be turned off. I used the MAC address of my Hub to have the router set it's IP to a fixed address, since the adapter was changing the MAC, the hub would not show up on the correct IP.

Sounds like you may have a different issue since you say findmyhub won't find your hub. In my case it would it just wasn't on the IP it was supposed to be on. Mentioning the Tp-Link adapter made me think of that so I thought I would mention it.

2 Likes

I plugged in the LAN cable and the interface came up - both are active on my router. It has a different MAC address.

If you are indeed seeing a different MAC address for the WiFi adapter, then create a DHCP reservation for it in your router. Once that is done, try using that IP address to get to the Hubitat hub.

This is something I had to do also, I have one IP reserved with the MAC of the dongle, I had to find it in my device list on the router, happy everything on LAN has reserved addresses, makes it a lot easier to find. I also kept one IP reserved with the hubs MAC if I ever need to connect it back via Ethernet, I won't have to find it.

Did not try the hub discovery after setting it up with a WIFI connection, so not sur if that works or not via WIFI.

I replaced the hub MAC address in my router with the one set by the adapter,
but I should have set up a slot for the original MAC to make it easier to find. Although in my case, find my hub found the hub, just not where it was supposed to be.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.