Need help making a smart Washing Machine

I had this great idea to put a smartthings multi sensor on my washing machine door so it know when the door opens and when vibration starts and stops..... Problem now is the rule.... The idea is to notify me once the machine is done... how do I create the trigger "once vibration stops for 4 min " notify me... I know the notify part but not the vibration stops or status is not active for a certain time..
Thanks for any help in advance...

1 Like

You could make a conditional rule:

Conditions:
Motion is not active
True
Delay 4 minutes
Send message
False
Do nothing

Here is a rule I use. It uses power as the condition, but the principal is the same:

That may work but the washing machine pauses sometimes... so I would need no motion for a sustained amount of time.

Just looking at your rule, what does 'Set Placeholder For Dryer' do?
Thanks.

I believe this is the Rule you want. Note the "Delay 4 minutes with Cancel" option. This will reset the 4 minute delay each time the washing machine goes 'active' again within that timer. This will prevent the false notifications when the washing machine idles mid-cycle.

2 Likes

The 'Set Placeholder for Dryer" is a work around for a global variable bug. When the new update comes out, that will be removed.

OK. Thanks.

You may have issues with dependence on vibration unless your washer vibrates a lot every time the drum rotates. Iā€™m tracking mine via current draw, but its extremely efficient, so the measurement is difficult to use alone at times. Iā€™ve tried a vibration sensor as an additional trigger, but as sensitive as it is, it does not detect the very minor vibration from the drum. Planning to try amplifying vibration with the sensor on the end of a floppy spring, but have not had the time to try that yet.

I know you want to do vibration sensing but how about monitoring electrical activity instead with something like a heavy duty smart switch... Aeotec has one..

Another +1 for using power monitoring. I use Zen15s on my washer and dryer and itā€™s very reliable.

Agree. This is a good way to do it. There is merit in having 2-3 mechanisms to measure. Iā€™m using current draw and time, but even that gives false notifications sometimes, since the efficiency of my washer turning the drum at low speed is inly a few watts difference from idle. The readings spike longer than the timeout when the washer is idle on occasion. So this results in a ā€œThe washer has finishedā€ notification ever so often when itā€™s actually not in use at all.