Need guidance on mode manipulation

So I have a mode called MovieTime. I am using this mode only when we watch...wait for it....movies. All my downstairs Light automation in rule machine activated accordingly based on different modes. I have them all not selected for MovieTime.

Here is the scenario:

• virtual device turned on from Alexa
  • rule machine executed and turns all downstairs colored bulbs to blue and changes mode to MovieTime.

Two issues I have:

1. Rules running (all with pending cancellation) seem to continue to execute their delay off which then seems to reset the bulbs to white and then turn off. How do I send a cancel on all rules?

2. After finishing MovieTime the virtual device is turned off and the Mode changes resulting in all light rules to restart. The issue is I have an evening and a sleep mode. Depending on when the movie ends it could be in either mode timeframe. So two questions: is there a way to do IF statements to determine time and potentially what mode should be set? And the next is there a way to initiate existing rules after MovieTime to begin their analysis to turn lights on quicker? Some motion sensors have a 3 min reset for activity.

The evening/sleep mode issue is one of the reasons I no longer use modes for these types of automations. I attach a virtual switch to any automation I may need to disable and add it to the "switch to disable rule" option. This way I can manually disable any automation individually...or in groups via another rule/virtual switch...I then call this vSwitch Movie Mode.

@stephack

Great idea but unfortunately we can only do (1) switch to disable the rule. Would be nice if we could do multiple switches.

I also use a Wemo Insight to determine if the TV is on. If it is on I disable the motion lighting in the living room as many times everyone is very still watching it or playing video games.

@bravenel Would it be possible for RM to support multiple switches to disable a rule in a future release?

I'm not sure I understand why you need multiple switches to disable. If the virtual switch is on then the automation runs. If it's off it doesn't. You can now simply create rules that turn the virtual switch on/off. If you are using the Wemo outlet...just create a rule that turns the virtual switch on and off that is tied to the state of this physical outlet.

Completely understand the confusion. So here is the scenario(s):

#1 Watching TV but not in MovieTime

• Disable the Living Room Rules
  • Keep all remaining rules in the house running

#2 Watching TV in MovieTime

• Disable all downstairs motion rules
  • Turn all color bulbs blue

#3 Normal day-to-day operations

• Run all motion rules

I would prefer not to have multiple z that I have to manage for each room depending on our preferences for that room. Also the virtual switch doesn't seem to stop the delay off when using cancelation; at least not in my limited testing.

Make sense?

If you by "z" you mean virtSwitches...I gotcha. I avoided this approach as well at first...but it gave me the flexibility I needed.

I think this section of Actions might be the best for you to experiment with:

I'm not sure if the Stop Action would cancel the delay but I would give it a shot.

Also, the set private boolean acts similar to the "switch to disable rule" and might give you the second option you are looking for.

If you need muliple disable switches, one way would be to create a separate rule that flips on a main virtual switch when any number of switches (real or virtual) are turned on. That main switch would then disable your rule(s)

Just use Private Boolean to disable a rule. It's an available Restriction -- obviates the need for a virtual switch to disable it.

Any restriction should stop a delayed off from happening. If not, let me know.

So private Booleans are accessible to every rule?

Yes. Setting them is an action available to all rules, triggers, etc. They can be set for any other rule, trigger, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.