Need Advice - Wall Switch Purchase

Hi All,
I need to purchase a wall switch to control a pair of overhead fluorescent double bulb shop lights. (Like the ones belowX2) They are already wired to a single a traditional wall switch.
The new switch would be within 25 feet of the hub so am open to zigbee or z-wave for this.
Any thoughts on a particular product?
Thank you muchly for any ideas!!
PS Getting rid of them is not an option...Wifey likes them. Ughhhh!

The newer ge zigbbee and zwave devices are good, as well as the zwp and zlink.
It's pretty hard to screw up a switch, but it can be done.

1 Like

Hi John,

I've been using the Inovelli wall switches. They've been good so far. What I like about them is that some models are "scene enabled". The switches can be double tapped, triple tapped, held, etc. and act as scene controllers. Hubitat sees them as "buttons". I mostly use the double tap capability to turn on or off a "local scene" - a set of lights that I frequently use at the same time as the main one controlled by the switch.

Service and support has been very good. The main problem I've had is that they are often out of stock and wait times can be long for their next batch to come in. Sometimes I think I might have chosen a different vendor because of the availability issues, but I'm committed now with about a dozen installed switches. I do like the scene control capabilities.

I have no experience with other in wall switches, so I can't offer any comparisons.

Good luck with you project.

-Scott

1 Like

I'd go with a Ge/Jasco Z-Wave Plus Switch (not a a dimmer for those fluorescent antiques! :wink: )

1 Like

All the above, but you can change them to LED, I did that with mine. Just the bulbs.

1 Like

I am a big fan of the Zooz toggle and dimmer switches. Comes in both traditional and rocker versions.

Beware the Zooz S2 series dimmers, there is an issue with the firmware currently, in that it floods the network with unneeded reports while it's dimming, I can't recommend these until this is fixed.

1 Like

I like the GE motion switches 26931
Set them to manual mode when you are first installing them and they work as a regular smart switch. The built in motion sensor can still be used seperately to trigger switches, presence, or security.

Me too, bought a few switches to try and they have been great, good price too. They replaced old GE/Jasco switches that didn't report their status without being polled. I replaced all my old Evolve dimmer switches with Caseta dimmers.

These are all I'm buying now. I'm done with the GE/Jasco MOSTLY....see below.

Except for this one and the 26933(dimmer version) Having a line powered motion detector built into the switch is just a genius idea as far as I'm concerned. And I LOVE how they allow you to use a local (in switch) turn on as a mode. I know this does confuse some but it's simple. There is a mode that can be set on the switch as follows:

Manual. Switch operates like a normal zwave switch, Motion detector operates like a normal zwave motion detector. Both reporting back to hub.

Occupancy: If motion is detected immediately turn on the switch (this is done in the switch instantly) also notifications of switch state and motion are sent to hub:
-----there is a settable timeout period here, up to 30 min. where it can locally also shut off the light.

Vacancy: User has to manually turn on the switch, but if it's turned on the motion sensor kicks in LOCALLY and turns the light off in a predefined amount of time. just like above.

What I like and use this for is during times of day when I have lights come on automatically with motion...I "enable" Occupancy mode. While HE is VERY fast compared to ST still nothing is faster than the motion sensor and switch itself turning on. I do this in my kitchen during the day/most of the evening. At 8:30pm I switch to vacancy mode. That way the light doesn't come on automatically (I have other accent lights on around the kitchen that are on, and they use just the motion sensor part of this switch even though it's not turning on). But if someone turns it on, it will shut itself off. All of this is still usable with rules and OTHER motion sensors to keep lights on too. I find it to be fantastic. I use one in my half bath (dimmer model) that I always want that light coming on as fast as possible. I'm also able to use that motion sensor for another light in there as well as the fan. Of course if your light switch is not in a physical position to act well as a motion detector, it might not make sense. I use this in my kitchen as I stated with another motion detector in the pantry working together. I use a switch version on the stairs down to my basement. As you go to walk down the stairs those lights are on instantly. Another motion detector down there keeps the lights on while in the laundry area.

I've been asking @ericm if I can convince Inovelli to add a motion sensor to one of their switch lines :crossed_fingers:

EDIT: One slight disadvantage...example is Half Bath. I have that light come on to different levels based on time of day/mode. Because the switch is turning the light on all it does is turn it on. But since I also have a rule turning it on at a set level what you get is the light turning on and then (if the mode/level has changed) the level changing. Obviously this just happens the first time when you enter that mode or time of day. It also shows how much faster the local turn on is vs/the round trip and rule processing from the hub.

ALSO agree that rip the guts out of that light and stuff a LED fixture in there is an option.

1 Like

Thanks to all for taking the time and offering up some real good ideas. I'll let ya know how all goes on my side. Have a Great Weekend!

I finally had a safe window of opportunity to cut the juice to the circuit to install this. Is Cool...I DIG IT! (As did Hubitat...picked up on it on the first shot...easy peasy)

1 Like

Just picked up some on Amazon for $30. Nice that they work as a "normal" switch as well without messing up anything (I'm looking at you wifi plug). Also, noticed on their site that one of these will make a dumb 3-way switch (same light circuit) smart, so you only need this one.