Need a way to monitor some Sengled bulbs and get notified if/when they drop off the mesh

You might also think about using Device Activity Check to monitor your bulbs...

1 Like

What is this "Presence" state I've seen (in passing) on some zigbee drivers?

That was a non-standard way some drivers, mostly by one particular author, used to report network status. The standard meaning of this attribute is physical presence, usually geolocation to tell whether a person is home or not, as the Hubitat mobile app device (and many other solutions) can report. But there isn't anything standard for network status, either, except for devices that use certain protocols where the connection status is more easily determined than Z-Wave or Zigbee (e.g., telnet or websocket).

Some authors have begun using a custom healthStatus attribute instead. This is a custom attribute so not part of any capability/"standard," but it avoids the above confusion in that it does not usurp an attribute or capability with a widely established, different meaning.

1 Like

Yup, that's what I'm doing. I've been using actively since the initial C8 release to keep track of any devices that might happen to drop off. (Didn't really need it before then as I didn't generally have problems w/devices dropping from my mesh.) Great little app...

And of course, now that I'm watching them, the Sengled aren't dropping (yet) so no chance to look for clues so far.

Uhg... I hate drivers that filter duplicate events on purpose. It makes it so the state has to change for that date to update. The hub will filter out duplicate events by itself if the driver just sends them anyway, the only thing that's nice to filter out on the driver level is duplicate log entries.

One reason why I am exploring making my own custom Generic Zigbee Outlet Driver.

Just to clarify, that statement I made was incorrect...I just had to refresh the Device page and then it showed that a Refresh does update the Last Activity date for the Sengled bulb.

1 Like

I’ve been using the “Iris Smart Plug” driver from Steve White’s repo for several years now with my Samsung (Samjin) plug and @csteele ’s Better Laundry Monitor app. It may be a good starting point or framework since it has more functionality than the built in driver (I don’t know how to write code so maybe I’m wrong).
The only oddity is the warn message in the logs that hasn’t caused any problems as far as I can tell.

1 Like

That warning is likely some sort of info the plug is sending in but the driver is not setup to handle it. I will check it out and add another code source to reference in my efforts.

2 Likes

Happy to try this out when you have something you'd like to test. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is the link to his repo Hubitat/Drivers at master · shackrat/Hubitat · GitHub

Still current?

Steve went in another direction quite a while back. He wrote the Hub Connect app and appeared to have an amazing talent for coding. @csteele knows much better than I do, but the driver is the one that I use.

1 Like

Ah, I already have his iris plug and other drivers. Installed them years ago and forgot... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Read-Only...

I think it means he is not entertaining Pull Requests :smiley:

3 Likes

@garz OK - one of my Sengled bulbs fell of today, last ativity around 5:45. This was a color bulb but both color and classic white have been falling off for me in the past.

Device Activity reporting not responsive and bulb is non-responsive to actions on its Device page:

Nothing terribly interesting in the logs for the light around that time, other than reporting it was off at 5:43. The refreshes called at 7:14 were me using the Refresh option from Device Activity Check, no response from there or from Refresh on the bulb's Device page.

So I got nothing...Sengled stuff is continuing to drop off for me for some unknown reason. There, and then not there. As I noted, started back on C7 so not specifically a C8 issue. I'm on 2.3.5.121 from about 2pm today, before that on .118 since it was released.

@bertabcd1234 - any suggestions for troubleshooting this issue w/Sengled bulbs. Worked w/out issue for me for literally years, now not.

I had the same problem with mine. They work great for years then started to drop all the time. I move them to a different zigbee network and they are working flawlessly ever since. So It's not the bulbs. Someone hinted it could be related to having Sonoff devices on the same zigbee network. I did indeed added Sonoff stuff a few months ago but I can't realy confirm that was the cause.

That's interesting. I don't have any sonoff devices per se on my mesh, but I do have several sonoff USB dongle repeaters, which are repeating very well for lots of other devices, but I've never seen the bulbs actually repeat through them.

Since you have 2 hub, did you try to keep the sengled on their own on one of them to see if the drop off occurs. If not, it would confirm it is not the hub nor the driver. I they still drop, it would clear Sonoff (or other devices) as the culprit.

I have 20 Sengled white bulbs controlled in four groups by Room Lighting - Breezeway, Island, Kitchen Ceiling, and Porch.

I'm having the same ZB falling-off issues as the others post-C8. When this happens I'll see the event logs differ for the problem child/children in each group. @danabw, if you're running bulbs in groups of 3 - 7 like I am, can you compare the events per group after an actuation to see if all the events in the group match up?

I have Sonoff dongles on both hubs (2 on C-5 and 3 on C-8) and had trouble keeping a couple Sengled color plus lights connected to the one C-5 with mostly Sylvania lights (a couple Sonoff plugs, Sylvania plug, GE zigbee in-wall dimmers), so I moved it to my other C-5 (now the C-8) that had zero bulbs and it has remained connected ever since. It also has Samsung plugs, GE dimmers, Hue plugs, a Sylvania plug, and about 80 or so zigbee end devices.