Need a rule to start fan dim, then stop it - I'm a bit lost

Really more than a little lost. Rule Machine's only rule appears to be that I shall not be able to make it do what I want it to do. I'm just not so good in this area...

I'm using the Bond integration to control my fans, and want to set up a Pico remote to manage the fan light via Hold and Release events (unless there is a better/simpler way to do it on the Pico). There are two Bond integration custom commands available, startDimming and stopDimming.

I tried having two rules, one that activates the startDimming command when the pico button is held, and a second that activates the stopDimming command when the same Pico button is released.

Didn't go so well...ended up w/a very interesting effect where the fan light dims and brightens endlessly, but not too practical, and as my son was watching as I failed, a little embarrassing. :slight_smile:

These custom controls aren't exposed in apps like the ABC button app, Simple Automation Rule , etc., so Rule Machine seems like the place where I have to do this.

Appreciate some help with the correct approach to make this work w/the Pico button using Hold/Release, if possible. Please help me by giving me something to do while I'm waiting for a fix for the C7 Z-Wave issues. :wink: Thanks!

I've had similar experiences with fan-lights. It's almost like they don't know what state the light is in and the state reverses when it hits 1 or 100. I use the same hold-release with limited success. I also program the same two buttons to raise/lower the light by +/-10 on a press. It takes longer to get where you want, but it works. I'm using RM button controller device on the Home Depot wink controller maybe someone with the same Bond device will have more to say.

Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have access in the integration to a raise/lower level by percentage, as the integration/Bond don't support that for the fan. So all I have is the startDimming/stopDimming commands...