Need a little guidence

Iv managed getting past install. Now easy to install devices, now like isy im playing around with programs. I have 2 Issues, Figured out scene app kinda. 1. my door motion sensor will show status in HE but will not notify, other 2 sensors will. 2. I did a scene and all 3 switches will turn on using HE but at local level wont, they are all in a scene. Not sure what logs to send so people can see my system or logs to be able to say yo dummy you didnt do this. Im not really worried if people see my home automation. What you gonna do turn lights on and off, Ill just change password. If there is a way to send or up load a log file and someone can help great. It beats screen shots. Im clueless although. I have learned a ton from comunity

I probably won't be much help, but you'll get better feedback if we focus on one issue at a time and provide LOTS of details. So, let's get in to your first problem...

What notifications are you expecting (Hubitat mobile app, Alexa TTS, etc.)? What app(s) are you trying to use? Screen shots of rules or other similar background info would also be helpful.

2 Likes

As @dylan.c suggested, is best tackling one issue at the time. Sending logs to someone would only tell a 1/3 of the story, so you will still need to provide the other 2/3. Logs show what actions have been taken, but they don't tell how your rule is set up (another 1/3) and what you are trying to accomplish (the other 1/3 of the story).

Here is a document that may help you troubleshoot and gather more details about your problems:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Troubleshoot_Apps_or_Devices

And because I have it bookmarked, and can still find it :wink:

3 Likes

So maybe I jumped the gun. In the groups and scenes I may have set it up wrong because I created a group to link 3 switches. Under the bulb tab nothing shows up. Select dimmers for group shows up a few choices but not laundry room. Lastly select switches for group shows all the switches I want to add into scene/group so I guess Im missing a step. Now second issue is when I set up all sensors my Galaxy did notify. Now it does not tried several sensors now none will trigger a notification. But it does show a status change in HE. All sensors show a status change in HE but no longer notify. Did some tests and using the He messaging app no longer works but it did during setup. I wanted to keep it simple. Is the HE notification app reliable? Id hate to come home to a flood or house empty because I got no notifications

So im COMLETLY LOST so I added so may sensors not more he 10 they would respond and notify my galaxy all of a sudden no alerts im using stock app for notifications everything worked as I tested each device after setup. All devices show up in logs as they sent a message but no message arrived. My cell can connect and sees status updates. but they are not pushed. Even in test mode.

Can you explain what you're trying to accomplish? The more detailed the explanation, the better. A screenshot of your notification rule would be great also.

And a simple first step would be to log out of the app and then log back in. Sometimes that's all it takes.

As far as notification reliability is concerned. I consider the HE app to be reliable, but definitely not bulletproof reliability. Many users here also use push notifications (pushover). This involves a one time cost of a few dollars {price of a cup of coffee}. You can also set ifttt phone calls through HE. When something is happening in my house that is critical {smoke alarm, flood alarm, burglary} I have HE send out all 3 notifications/phone call.

I wanted to keep it simple because I dont have time to learn everything from scratch. Hubitab forums are one of the quickest to respond and help. Im a hands on guy, watched so many setup videos to where im lost again. I posted a job app in the new section (i Think) To pay someone to look at my setup tell me what is wrong, how to fix it and answer some questions. So i get the logic of the basics. I think once I watch someone do it and it works it will stick at least for basics and someone explaining me this is why, or this is how and the reason I could learn the basics in 2 hours vs trial and error for weeks.

Are you using the simpler apps or are you trying to use rule machine?