Nanoleaf matter a19 bulb

Does anyone know if the nanoleaf matter a19

https://www.amazon.com/Nanoleaf-Essentials-Smart-Color-Changing-Light/dp/B0C1JBLYDZ

Works with C-8 ?

If so, any instructions how to set it up ?

2 Likes

Hub does not support Matter yet, it's not directly supported.

1 Like

From New Hubitat Elevation Model C-8 Released 2/28/2023 - "a platform update to add Matter compatibility is expected later this year." - is there an ETA on that update ?

1 Like

Nanolead is directly supported...

Set up aq virtual device with the nanoleaf aurora driver...(it works for all nanoleaf devices)

Once setup find the ip of the nanoleaf device. Insert that ip into the ip field of the device on the device page. click save.

After that press and hold power button or 3 seconds an then click GET AUTH TOKEN on device page.

After you get auth token you're golden.

1 Like

I don't think this will work for a device that only supports Thread and Bluetooth, not Wi-Fi.

1 Like

With a border router it is theoretically possible

1 Like

The a19's are ip as well I believe but I certainly could be wrong. I emailed nanoleaf

From the pictures I can see - I do not see any power button on the A19 bulbs.

I think it's simply turn off and turn on with those the get the Auth token. It's broadcast when turned on

I got a message back from Nanoleaf, also supports WiFi

That is odd, being notably absent from the specs. I have the similar Essentials Lightstrip with nearly the same specs, and it definitely does not support Wi-Fi -- it's either Thread (Matter over Thread) or Bluetooth (for direct control from the app without a "hub"). I'm wondering if their support agent wasn't confused about the fact that either can essentially be used indirectly (via such a hub) over Wi-Fi for control in the former situation...

In any case, I tried anything I could think of to make the Lightstrip work this way as Bryan hinted is theoretically possible, and wasn't able to. :slight_smile: I imagine the bulbs would end in the same fate.

But maybe some day this will not matter if support for a certain standard comes to be...

2 Likes

It's possible. I did specify the a19 essentials bulb...

Now that this information is public, I can say I've been testing the Nanoleaf Essentials Matter lightstrip and bulbs on the next platform release, and they work well that way. :slight_smile: (I was not able to make anything I could find work over HTTP, and no evidence that these devices support Wi-Fi. Trying to commission via Alexa only offered me my HomePod Thread network as an option--which doesn't work without a way to get the key but would work if you have Thread-capable Alexa devices [I was just very intentionally trying an ecosystem where I didn't], so I feel like their support was confused about Wi-Fi...)

2 Likes

Yes, as I mentioned above, the Nanoleaf Essentials Matter bulbs and lighstrips work via the Matter integration. All of these that I know of are Matter over Thread, which also require a Thread Border Router on your home network (Apple TV, HomePod, certain Echo or Nest models, etc.). For more information on that in general, see: How to use Matter on Hubitat Elevation | Hubitat Documentation

"Older" (including many current) Nanoleaf devices can work over the longstanding Nanoleaf API as also mentioned above.

There may be products that don't work with either. For example, their lightstrips are available in both Matter and HomeKit varieties. While both use Thread, you need Matter over Thread, not HomeKit over Thread, to work directly with Hubitat. (I don't think they have a "firmware upgrade" available for one to the other, but some vendors may if the hardware is otherwise compatible.)

1 Like

Now that Matter is in play for Hubitat, does anyone have an answer to integrating Nanoleaf bulbs into Hubitat C8?

Help needed on how to add Nanoleaf Thread Bulbs to Hubitat

These are the links to some excellent resources in this forum related to Matter:

In addition to Hubitat C-8 hub, you will need at least one more Thread Border Router device - for example Apple HomePod Mini, or Amazon Echo (4th generation), or Google Nest Hub, etc...

Then download the Nanoleaf mobile app, update the firmware, and add it to the TBR device that you have.
Pairing the Nanoleaf Thread bulb to Hubitat will be the last step.

I have merged your duplicate posts from the different "threads" (topics) into one. Please do not double-post.

Here is the answer I provided to your question on this topic where it was originally posted (which I deleted and re-posted so it makes more sense chronologically after the move):

Yes, as I mentioned above, the Nanoleaf Essentials Matter bulbs and lighstrips work via the Matter integration. All of these that I know of are Matter over Thread, which also require a Thread Border Router on your home network (Apple TV, HomePod, certain Echo or Nest models, etc.). For more information on that in general, see: How to use Matter on Hubitat Elevation | Hubitat Documentation

"Older" (including many current) Nanoleaf devices can work over the longstanding Nanoleaf API as also mentioned above.

There may be products that don't work with either. For example, their lightstrips are available in both Matter and HomeKit varieties. While both use Thread, you need Matter over Thread, not HomeKit over Thread, to work directly with Hubitat. (I don't think they have a "firmware upgrade" available for one to the other, but some vendors may if the hardware is otherwise compatible.)

1 Like

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have Nanoleaf Lines, and this worked for them. I had been trying to automate the scenes through various methods with poor results. This method assigns the scene numbers, which I am able to automate with Webcore.

My Nanoleaf Essentials a19 bulbs appear to be Thread only bulbs that I use in HomeKit. Am I reading correctly that there is not a path to bring these legacy, pre-matter bulbs into Hubitat?