Nanoleaf matter a19 bulb

I got a message back from Nanoleaf, also supports WiFi

That is odd, being notably absent from the specs. I have the similar Essentials Lightstrip with nearly the same specs, and it definitely does not support Wi-Fi -- it's either Thread (Matter over Thread) or Bluetooth (for direct control from the app without a "hub"). I'm wondering if their support agent wasn't confused about the fact that either can essentially be used indirectly (via such a hub) over Wi-Fi for control in the former situation...

In any case, I tried anything I could think of to make the Lightstrip work this way as Bryan hinted is theoretically possible, and wasn't able to. :slight_smile: I imagine the bulbs would end in the same fate.

But maybe some day this will not matter if support for a certain standard comes to be...

2 Likes

It's possible. I did specify the a19 essentials bulb...

Now that this information is public, I can say I've been testing the Nanoleaf Essentials Matter lightstrip and bulbs on the next platform release, and they work well that way. :slight_smile: (I was not able to make anything I could find work over HTTP, and no evidence that these devices support Wi-Fi. Trying to commission via Alexa only offered me my HomePod Thread network as an option--which doesn't work without a way to get the key but would work if you have Thread-capable Alexa devices [I was just very intentionally trying an ecosystem where I didn't], so I feel like their support was confused about Wi-Fi...)

2 Likes

Yes, as I mentioned above, the Nanoleaf Essentials Matter bulbs and lighstrips work via the Matter integration. All of these that I know of are Matter over Thread, which also require a Thread Border Router on your home network (Apple TV, HomePod, certain Echo or Nest models, etc.). For more information on that in general, see: How to use Matter on Hubitat Elevation | Hubitat Documentation

"Older" (including many current) Nanoleaf devices can work over the longstanding Nanoleaf API as also mentioned above.

There may be products that don't work with either. For example, their lightstrips are available in both Matter and HomeKit varieties. While both use Thread, you need Matter over Thread, not HomeKit over Thread, to work directly with Hubitat. (I don't think they have a "firmware upgrade" available for one to the other, but some vendors may if the hardware is otherwise compatible.)

1 Like

Now that Matter is in play for Hubitat, does anyone have an answer to integrating Nanoleaf bulbs into Hubitat C8?

Help needed on how to add Nanoleaf Thread Bulbs to Hubitat

These are the links to some excellent resources in this forum related to Matter:

In addition to Hubitat C-8 hub, you will need at least one more Thread Border Router device - for example Apple HomePod Mini, or Amazon Echo (4th generation), or Google Nest Hub, etc...

Then download the Nanoleaf mobile app, update the firmware, and add it to the TBR device that you have.
Pairing the Nanoleaf Thread bulb to Hubitat will be the last step.

I have merged your duplicate posts from the different "threads" (topics) into one. Please do not double-post.

Here is the answer I provided to your question on this topic where it was originally posted (which I deleted and re-posted so it makes more sense chronologically after the move):

Yes, as I mentioned above, the Nanoleaf Essentials Matter bulbs and lighstrips work via the Matter integration. All of these that I know of are Matter over Thread, which also require a Thread Border Router on your home network (Apple TV, HomePod, certain Echo or Nest models, etc.). For more information on that in general, see: How to use Matter on Hubitat Elevation | Hubitat Documentation

"Older" (including many current) Nanoleaf devices can work over the longstanding Nanoleaf API as also mentioned above.

There may be products that don't work with either. For example, their lightstrips are available in both Matter and HomeKit varieties. While both use Thread, you need Matter over Thread, not HomeKit over Thread, to work directly with Hubitat. (I don't think they have a "firmware upgrade" available for one to the other, but some vendors may if the hardware is otherwise compatible.)

1 Like

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have Nanoleaf Lines, and this worked for them. I had been trying to automate the scenes through various methods with poor results. This method assigns the scene numbers, which I am able to automate with Webcore.

My Nanoleaf Essentials a19 bulbs appear to be Thread only bulbs that I use in HomeKit. Am I reading correctly that there is not a path to bring these legacy, pre-matter bulbs into Hubitat?

Thread per se doesn't matter; it's what protocol it uses on top of Thread. Their older bulbs are HomeKit over Thread, while they released newer Matter over Thread bulbs (apparently a firmware update to enable Matter was not possible). You'd have to check the specs for the device to see for sure, or look at the QR code on the device. A Matter QR code will have the Matter logo and wordmark; a HomeKit device normally has the Apple Home icon. It sounds like you have the latter, and in that case I'm not aware of any way to make them work natively, but it would be worth verifying.

Then download the Nanoleaf mobile app, update the firmware, and add it to the TBR device that you haveā€¦
DONE
Pairing the Nanoleaf Thread bulb to Hubitat will be the last step.
CAN YOU HELP ME OUT ON HOW YOU ACCOMPLISHED THIS LAST STEP?

Thank you in advance!

As I mentioned, you will need a Matter over Thread bulb to pair directly with Hubitat. HomeKit over Matter will not work (or at least I don't know of anyone who has tried successfully--I don't think they support the LAN API other devices use). Nanoleaf has both. The instructions you replied to assume Matter.

Thank you for the clarification

So the version currently being sold on the Apple Store app:

Nanoleaf Essentials Matter A19 Smart Bulb - Thread & Matter-Enabled Smart LED Light Bulb - White and Color Nanoleaf Essentials Matter A19 Smart Bulb - Thread & Matter-Enabled Smart LED Light Bulb - White and Color - Apple

Will work natively with a Hubitat c7 running v2.3.8 and above, correct?

But the version on Best Buy for $5 less, will not work natively with a Hubitat c7 running v2.3.8 and above, correct?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nanoleaf-essentials-matter-a19-smart-led-light-bulb-thread-matter-enabled-multicolor/6537049.p?skuId=6537049

The part you highlighted, "Works over Thread," isn't the important part. Thread as a protocol was created before Matter, and not all Thread devices are Matter devices. However, you'll see it also states something about "Requires a Matter-compatible smart home hub," and that is the important part. That means it should work with Hubitat via your Thread Border Router (e.g., HomePod or AppleTV, or at least some models of each) and the Matter integration.

For more on Matter on Hubitat, see: How to use Matter on Hubitat Elevation | Hubitat Documentation

I don't see why not. It sounds the same as the above.

This is usually easier to figure out directly on the manufacturer's website, especially if you have a model number.

I was maybe misinterpreting your statement here. I thought ā€œMatter over Threadā€ was the important verbiage I was looking for and I saw that verbiage on the Apple site but not the Best Buy site.

Either way, I do have a few of the latest HomePod Minis and am switching away from Alexa to Siri/HomeKit, but sounds like these two products will work all the same.

Sorry Iā€™m so confused. Iā€™m used to directly connecting a device to Hubitat and then presenting that device to a voice assistant (Alexa via a skill or Siri via the HomeKit Integration app) without the NEED for any other device to be on the network. I donā€™t know why this seems harder to grasp lol

Matter can be a bit confusing right now since Hubitat does not have a Thread radio built in like it does Z-Wave and Zigbee radios. So, it can't talk directly to those devices, but it can still talk to them using a Thread Border Router on your network. (Technically, you'll need Wi-Fi in your home for Matter over Wi-Fi to work, too, but that would be a bit harder to not find, I think...)

Adding to this is the issue that unlike these two protocols, Matter devices (with any lower-level protocol, including Thread) can be "shared" among multiple Matter controllers at the same time instead of needing to be directly paired to one like Zigbee and (ignoring secondary controllers...) Z-Wave. So, you can "commission" it on one system (get it on your Thread or Wi-Fi network and, typically, paired with that controller) and then pair it to another one -- e.g., you can commission it with Apple Home, then use Home to put it into "pairing mode" to add it to Hubitat, ultimately enabling control from either system at the same time.

So it can definitely be confusing. :slight_smile: But that last thing also makes it a bit neat.

I might say that "Matter" alone is the key word (as long as there is a Hubitat driver, separate issue...), which I see in both, but Matter always needs some underlying protocol to network the devices since it only defines the "application" layer. Sometimes that's Thread, sometimes that's Wi-Fi, and sometimes you'll find something else (like Ethernet, possibly for Matter "bridges," the devices behind which could be using any protocol).

The issue is that Thread alone isn't enough since it doesn't mean Matter, and Nanoleaf does have some Thread (specifically, HomeKit over Thread) bulbs that aren't Matter. You need "Matter over Thread," which some manufacturers might be direct enough to state but others might consider too technical and just state Matter compatibility and the fact that they use Thread -- so that particular phrasing is, perhaps unfortunately, not always something you'll find.

Thatā€™s exactly what I needed. Matter is application layer and HEā€™s donā€™t currently have a Thread radio. Crystal. Thank you for that!

Itā€™s always funny when things seem to progress by moving backwardsā€¦ matter over WiFi sounds like an abomination. Truth be told Iā€™m sure one day Iā€™ll be so happy for that capability, but the ENTIRE reason I brought an HE was to get away from WiFiā€˜s slow response and congestion. I assume the matter protocol will have some response time advantages over current WiFi protocols, but Iā€™ll be surprised if turning lights on and off using matter over WiFi will ever be as fast as Zwave/Zigbeeā€¦ however, Iā€™ve been wrong before :tipping_hand_man:t2:

Thanks again! I donā€™t have a need for this bulb, well, Iā€™m having trouble with a single Zigbee bulb in my house so I went searching for a Zwave bulb and found exactly one that exists for 30$, then this Matter bulb popped up so I thought Iā€™d search the forum first. I donā€™t even like having the smarts be in the bulb anyway, hopefully will be able to migrate this specific scenario over to a wall switch instead anyway. This has been extremely helpful!

1 Like