My Zooz dimmers are haunted

I have 3 Zooz ZEN77 dimmers in my bathrooms, and they will randomly turn on for no reason. Log shows physical switch press, but nobody is in the room. They will also sometimes change level on their own a few minutes after turning themselves on. The log also shows a flurry of commands coming from the switch until i go in there and physically turn it off.

Has anyone had issues like this on these switches. It can't be 3 bad switches, can it?.

Are they connected in series? Or are they connected in different spots throughout the house?

Alexa hunches?

On the device page, does it show the dimmer being used by any applications? Hopefully it is something simple like that.

Next thing that comes to mind is wiring. At that point, it may be good to reach out to Zooz support. I found them to be responsive and helpful.

1 Like

Each one is in a different bathroom in the house. I do not use Alexa. These switches are used by motion and lighting app. I have zigbee Centralite motions turning them on, but according to logs, they are being physically turned on, and no motion events in the motion detector logs.

I wonder if power fluctuations could cause something like this?

I recommend a bypass on every dimmer.

So for a test, turn off the breaker for the zen77, count to ten, and then turn it back on.

Does this clear up the behaviour for a day or so?

I only have one zen77 but have never had an issue with it. My understanding is that the 77 and 76 are identical to the 27 and 26 electrically with just the zwave upgraded from the 500 to the 700 chip. I have three 27s and around twenty of the 26s.

If these switches do not have sufficient loads on them to allow a few milliamps of current while in the off state, it is my experience that the uC gets more and more out of sorts over time.

Another way to verify if this issue is affecting you is to replace the bulb temporarily with an incandescent bulb and see if the behaviour persists (again after a power cycle).

By default, I now always install a bypass on these switches.

I have some background info here:

2 Likes

Its weird because its random and does not happen all the time (maybe once or twice a day, sometimes not at all for several days), so a power cycle might be inconclusive. Interesting thought on the load/resistance though. All 3 bathrooms have small, very low wattage led candelabra bulbs. I wonder if this could have something to do with it. I will look into load resistors.

Thanks

2 Likes

I know exactly what you mean. You think you have something fixed and then just when you let your guard down - bam.

The incandescent bulb is the best test before you go opening the switch box again. If it’s a multi bulb fixture, you just need to swap one bulb out temporarily. Doesn’t get you any WAF points though.

In any case the load resistor is a good thing.

2 Likes