My system is unstable, 100+ devices and I'm not sure how to properly troubleshoot

That's an interesting thought... Never had to do that on ST but that seems like a cool hacker trick.

The helpdesk system should send you an automated reply with your ticket number
(and yes, it is validated)

Andy

Support just added a Topic that they are NOT getting emails from some personal domains.

If you do NOT get the automated reply then the silence is an indicator that they didn't get it. I'm in that boat and they don't get my emails. I'd guess 10 mins for an automated reply. Then PM @bobbyD is my advice.. he's very good and as a result has plenty of idle time :smiley: :smiley: since sleep is over rated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah thanks - they PM'd me.. it is a mail server thing.

1 Like

After reading this thread I thought I would check to see if I had any devices connected 'securely' as a z wave repair never completes all devices successfully.
I found 2 Fibaro devices.
Excluded and rejoined them. They are now non-secure.
Z Wave repair now runs quickly and completes successfully.

Hopefully all is good in my world again.
Just thought I would mention it in case any one else has 'securely' joined devices.
It is worth re-joining them.

4 Likes

Reading thread after thread (on both system forums) about z-wave issues like this makes it very clear to me why the “big guys” aren’t going anywhere near this kind of stuff... seems like it will forever be a niche technology. Wifi, for all its faults, tends to either work or not work and the operating model can be grasped by ordinary people.

WiFi didn't work a lot in the beginning, if you recall, and was a giant constant headache. Zigbee and Z-Wave, while new, can still be set up to be stable and reliable, so that's already a big advantage over the early days of WiFi. Honestly we can say the same about cloud computing right now. We've flocked towards a local solution largely because of the flakiness of cloud dependence, but eventually cloud connections will be solid and unshakable. The real reason for local home automation, then, will be security.

"Ordinary people" are fully capable of understanding HA mesh concepts. I'm sure there will be future products with many multiple layers of idiot-proofing, but as it stands right now it's not as difficult as you make it sound.

1 Like

I have certain devices that "just work" all the time like some closet door recessed door sensors and closet light relays. I recognize that this is a new platform but for me the benefits of local control outweigh the sometimes inconvenient issues that crop up. I am willing to put up with these things because I see constant improvement and a vibrant helpful community.

Recently I added a ton of devices and that caused some instability - again as I mentioned likely caused by me by excluding devices manually causing ghost devices. Yes the system should handle this better but I believe it's in the works.

By comparison a more "mature" but not necessarily better SmartThings platform I migrated from is stable MOST of the time. This shows that those protocols under an HA system can work effectively and reliably. With HE and localized control I think it will be even better even if it's not quite there yet (but it's really close!!!). Also the mere fact that I could migrate speaks volumes for these open-ish standards.

In my opinion the "big boys" are trying to leverage their power and create something proprietary that they can control, analyze and monetize the way they want. It's a hip 80's/90's Micro$oft all over again - embrace/extend/control where we and our lives are the "product".

Wireless anything is subject to interference and degradation and even now you have to have some sort of knowledge in order to get things working the way you want or hire a professional. Clearly WiFi has issues too or there wouldn't be such a strong push to change standards / offer upgraded equipment. The US cable company Comcast/XFinity has recognized this with their partnership with Plume (a mesh networking company).

Just my 2 cents!

2 Likes