My rule misses the boat somewhere; would like help understanding where

It depends on what your end game is. As @JasonJoel stated you need to have a trigger to evaluate your logic. From there you can build out your logic with conditions.

You would add each of those times as additional triggers to the rule. So the time would show up as a trigger, and as a condition in the IF statement.

I understand fully. I had also made a rule like JNS' but ran into problems when adding different times and days. See post #18

Now I think I'm understanding per your post. I would have a long trigger of or's - correct?

1 Like

That's because you didn't add those times to the trigger you added them as a conditional action instead. Thereby the one time trigger is the only time the rule is ran.

I think I'm getting really close to understanding the concept. I want you all to know I really appreciate your patience.

2 Likes

Similar to writing rules say for example motion.

If you set the trigger to be upon "motion active" then nothing will happen within a rule when the motion is inactive, ONLY active motion.

But if you set the trigger to be upon "motion changed" then both active AND inactive make the rule be evaluated/ran.

Understood. Thanks again. I'll get back at it and see what I can do.