My problems with Hubitat Z-Wave

I am mostly interest about the one closest to the hub right now. I was going to suggest to temporarily move one of the “bad” actors closer to the hub to see if that will improve the test results

I know it will impact the logs but I am trying to do it step by step...

I will give this a shot

It appears once one of them "become" bad actors they stay that way until excluded then rejoined.

I took one of the bad actors and moved it where the one was directly next to the hub. I then held the button on the extender until it turns purple to perform the range test at which I got a green light (good sign)

So I then when to the device page and clicked refresh. and got
device

So I then ran a zwave repair to rebuild the mesh at which returned for this device.

After the zwave repair I tried running the test frames again and got.

So now I guess I will try to exclude it then reset the device and rejoin it.

I have not had any issues with my Zwave for quit a while now.
I found I had one bad GE Zwave light switch that caused interference and knock off some of my other devices (mainly the Schlage Zwave locks).
Once I removed the trouble Switch I have not had any issues since.
Unfortunately it was just luck that I noticed the locks happened to fall off whenever I physically pushed the light switch. It never knocked them off if I switch the switch on remotely through the hub.
The only way to figure out which device is the problem is to remove 1 device at a time and let it sit for a period of time and see if see if that affects your other devices.
Very time consuming process.

When the z-wave repair shows 4 or 5 SUC route messages, it basically means the repair failed for that node.

I am wondering if you have dead ghost zwave nodes on the stick with all that joining/re-joining/excluding... that could cause you problems.... Is that a C4 or C5?

I think he's definitely got something else that is causing problems with his locks. I've had 3 Schlage BE469 locks connected to my system since March and haven't had a single disconnect.

It's a C-5. I have the issues on all 3 of my C-5's I've tried each one. I started "this" venture with a freshly reset/wiped and zwave radio wiped hub, and the issue still shown it's head.

So I went ahead and excluded all the range extenders which only left the locks by themselves on the hub. Being that this hub will ONLY have the locks (and possibly the range extenders) I decided to try something usually not recommended and change the "locks and garage doors" to "all secure zwave" and rejoin the range extenders as I know during the joining you one click for non-secure and 2 clicks for secure which means it flashes green for non-secure and blue for secure.

What was interesting is that when these joined under "locks and garage doors" and non-secure they paired as a "device"

When joined under "all secure zwave" and secure joined (blue light) they paired as a "generic zwave repeater"

However I noticed in the device details page it doesn't show that it joined "secure" even though the blue light flashed on the device when joining. I excluding and rejoined a couple times to see if this just didn't complete the first time. All times it did the same thing.

On another note (most important in my opinion) the one thing I've noticed 100% was when I first started using these extenders after they joined they repeatedly blinked the led on the side when mesh traffic was going through them at random times. Every time I've noticed this issue is when I also notice the led is no longer blinking at random. This has happened about once a month every month for about the past 4.

Except this last time no matter what, when I exclude and rejoin them the led no longer blinks at random like they did in the beginning.

Not much else can be in the equation as the only devices are the hub, the range extenders, and the locks.

Since the locks don't repeat I assume you are adding the repeaters first?

Yes

And completing a Z-Wave repair after adding each device? When I paired my locks I took them off the doors so they were within a foot of the hub.

Too bad, so we can't run Zensys tools or OZWCP to see what is on the "stick".....

You don't know anyone that might have a Z-wave Toolbox? Or do you? Z-Wave ToolBox - ZWP-TBX – ZWaveProducts

It is not cheap but it did help me when I was trying to figure out instabilities with my Zwave mesh.

It let's you trace zwave communications and shows which devices is speaking through whom and what the RSSI is. e.g.

The blue rows were a simple "refresh" of a Zwave switch. You can see here that the Hub (Node ID 1) talks through Device 57 (a range extender) to Device ID 3 and back and also what the RSSI values are for the communication. It also let's you see the mesh table:

This can help you trying to determine if there is a bad path in your mesh

I am really not advertising this product, I do believe it is expensive for what it can do (it does have more features than what I show above). However, in the absence of any other tools and the level of frustration something like this can cause, it was an expense that I made in the end.... If you know someone, maybe you could borrow it for a day or so....

2 Likes

I debated on getting one since that I've dedicated some much time and extra $$$ just to get the zwave to work on this hub that worked fine on the other 2 platforms, but like you stated for what they do they are a bit pricey and I'm about out of patience spending any more $$$ on zwave on this hub. I'm now looking at ways to migrate my zwave to somewhere else and link to the hub.

While not quite in the same league as the Toolbox, I have an Aeon Zstick attached to a Linux machine and paired to my HE hub. I run OZWCP on the Linux machine to get a reasonable amount of troubleshooting data. I am using a Virtual machine but OZWCP can easily run on Raspberry Pi, old laptop etc.

1 Like

I hear you, I would rather spend more $$$ on new devices than something to get "what I already bought" working....

@mike.maxwell Do you have any idea why when pairing the same exact device non-secure versus secure it joins as two different devices? The fingerprint should be the same.....no?

Aeotec Range Extender 6 using "All Secure Zwave" joined as "non-secure" (one click on the device green light) comes up as:

Aeotec Range Extender 6 using "All Secure Zwave" joined as "secure" (two click on the device blue light) comes up as:

Why would they be different?

Yep, If I had it to do over again I would have just bought an extra hub for each lock and a wifi/lan dongle and place right by each lock with hubconnect. But live and learn.

The fingerprints may or may not be the same, note the first lacks 0x98 which is the security command class. The device itself determines what command classes to return when joined secure vs insecure.
What platform version were you running when you did these joins?

I'm still using 2.1.5.124

Waiting for all the bugs of the new to get worked out before upgrading.

FYI after pairing "secure" it also doesn't show it paired as secure, and also the only driver selection "refresh" doesn't show anything occurred in the log.