My personal review mega thread

Lol! I'll tell you when I'm finished or dead, whichever comes first :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thus far, believe it or not, but things have worked out well for me so far. The closest thing I have to regret is screwing around with cheap Chinese WiFi crap. I have a box full of just LED controllers and $2 remotes.

edit: If you're referring to my Quest with Pico remotes and recessing switches, yes to that as well. So far, so good. I've done three gang boxes so far, so I have a long way to go. /edit

Did you end up with as many smart color bulbs as you originally planned?

No, nor was that the intention. I have gotten a lot of Ambiance bulbs to hold me over, but I knew Hue color would be a long term expense. I also haven't done much in the way of LED strips yet - mostly due to time constraints (and I have overly complicated and difficult plans for those).

Curious what you mean by this? Many of us are using Google's Assistant SDK via the Assistant-Relay NodeJS server to be able to Broadcast messages from Hubitat (or ST) to our Google Home devices. It works pretty well as a TTS device.

[Oops, I hit Enter on accident.]

Requires a man-in-the-middle. I will definitely do that, but... It's a con. Don't know if it also applies to Alexa...? What I'd like is to be able to have Hubitat send a "broadcast" command to Home, with a string for what I want it to say.

1 Like

The great thing about Groovy is if you don't like Groovy, just write all your code in Java: aka the least obscure programming language in the world.

1 Like

Did not know that. That may come in handy, though this point was also a "thorough" type thing. Haven't used Java much either, and didn't find it easy the few times I have.

edit: So that bullet is wrong?

Ha! I hear you! Java is definitely more difficult to write than Groovy, and you are right, Groovy is considered an obscure language if you go by usage in projects. Just wanted to point out that any Java coder can easily write Groovy code or even write Java code in ST and our system and be fine.

1 Like

Not being picky but this is not accurate. The "any other system" is the part that is not accurate.

Forgot to quote:

That's not inaccurate. Yes you can integrate Lutron into other systems (and we're talking consumer level here, not Control 4 or Crestron), but Hubitat (a consumer home automation hub) can control Lutron in ways that no other consumer level hub can.

As an example:

My apologies, I should have specified. Other systems at this level don't allow for this level of integration. Lutron restricts Wink's ability with the Pico's and ST is a cloud integration (I believe). @SmartHomePrimer thanks for delving further into it.

I never had a staples connect, but didnโ€™t they connect directly to Lutron devices?

Since it was discontinued, I guess itโ€™s not really a viable alternative at this point anyway.

Now this is accurate that no other "consumer level hub" IS integrated like Hubitat. That is 100% accurate. Others "Can" be they just aren't.

StaplesConnect DID have a full Lutron integration, built in. Correct. They had what we consider the Bridge built in. Picos, switches, dimmers, and shades would all directly pair with StaplesConnect.

When "Release" was added, allowing for dimming, was the moment Hubitat surpased that 2014 implementation of StaplesConnect. :smiley:

3 Likes

Added notes on LED strips, locks, Nest thermostat, PowerBot vacuum, Xiaomi magic cube and Fingbox. Removed bad advice on wires for LED strips. And removed repeat entry for Lutron. Many other tweaks.

Magic cube also supports rotate left and rotate right, which I use for light dimming...

Yes, it IS a lot of fun! My grandkids love making the lights change colors with the cube :blush:

Doi! Thanks for the reminder. Rotate is what I use to change light levels (for a lamp), so shouldn't have forgotten.

I've been trying to figure out some excuse to mount one on an axis to spin it one way or the other as a switch/dimmer. Just can't come up with any practical need for it.

@Roguetech and all other Yale lock users,

I am considering the Yale Assure keyless touchpad with either Zwave or Zigbee. I have neither of these technologies in my home, so thinking of going with Zigbee over Zwave. Curious to know what others are using and why.

I saw the B1L and T1L, any idea what the difference is?

Why did you go with B1L over the T1L or the Assure?

Have you integrated your lock with Hubitat? What user app and drivers did you use and why?

Thanks for your list. Helpful, but prompts more questions.

I use both ZigBee and Z-Wave products. With locks, I would use Z-Wave, because it has better security and range.

That is not correct although z-wave is said to have a further range it is also limited only 4 hops from the hub hence the extra range needed. ZigBee on the other hand doesn't haven't a hop limit so can go much further. The other thing is security ZigBee is built to be secure and is that by standard. Z-WAVE plus now uses the same security as ZigBee but at a cost because it wasn't originally designed like it so in order to get the security part of it you need to join everything "securely" these extra messages bog down the network and can cause it to slow down. So usually the only devices you join securely are doors and locks for obvious reasons. But if you look though the community you will see that thr ZigBee locks are by far the preferred option with much less issues than their Z-WAVE equivalent. Some locks have modules that allow you to change from z-wave to ZigBee and you will find lots of threads that people have done this due to issues with z-wave and it's range/ security communication.

2 Likes

All Zigbee devices pair securely by default, there is no insecure option and they manage to encrypt data with 50% to 60% less frames per transaction than Z-wave S0 security.

4 Likes

ZigBee devices will indescriminatly join to any network once in pairing mode. Z-Wave will only connect to one network. And I'd rather have fewer hops with locks. Personally, I've never had any issue at all with my Z-Wave locks. Most everything else, I've some sort of issue with at some point in time. With sensors, some one-off issue in 6 months isn't really an issue, but locks are mission critical.

No exactly sure about this... Any Zigbee or Z-Wave device that is put into pairing mode will happily join any controller that is in pairing mode. I don't see much, if any difference in this regard? Please explain this a little more.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.