My hubitat no longer talks to any device

HI Hubitaters,
My 6 week old Hubitat has approx 15 Z-wave devices attached. 3 days ago it simply stopped talking to any device and would not allow the addition of any.
I have performed a soft-reset and restored a backup without any improvement.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tom

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues. I would reach out to support@hubitat.com to get a service case started.

Hope you get it resolved quickly!

Thanks Mr Ambassador, I have sent them an email and they automatically responded suggesting I post here.

@bobbyD

3 Likes

Do a shutdown (not a reboot). Wait until the hub led is red. Then disconnect the power to the hub. Wait 2-3 minutes. Restart the hub. Wait a few minutes after the led has turned green and try controlling your z-wave devices.

4 Likes

Hi Aaiyar,
I just did as you suggested (twice) and no change. My Hubitat refuses to take to any of the devices.
Should I be attempting a full reset? Any other thoughts?
Tom
(enjoying the rain pelting down in Sydney!!)

And....

My Hubitat does not display the correct current status of devices (eg light or power switches)

Shutdown the hub.
Remove power.
Unplug the z-wave dongle.
Plug it back in again (make sure it is seated well)
Power up the hub.

2 Likes

Woooooooo whooooooooo!!!

Mr Aaiyar Ambassador YOU ROCK.

I just turned my office light on. The dongle must have come loose.

Thanks heaps

Tom

5 Likes

I couldn't think of any other explanation that matched your observation. That your hub has an external dongle only came to notice because you mentioned Sydney and that it was pelting rain.

7 Likes

Mine locks up and z-wave becomes unresponsive must a 15 device limit ......
I'm a few weeks in and not liking this z-wave issue

There is no 15 device limit. I have 74 z-wave devices on one of my Hubitats now.

2 Likes

A few people seem to be reporting issue with z-wave locking up maybe just a non US issue

Mine was fine with around 15 devices and as soon as I moved the rest from ST ,z-wave lockup when I run a scene with most of them in

To be clear, @tqabc's issue was not "z-wave locking up". The z-wave dongle was loose. I'm not sure what the issue is with your z-wave setup, but I know plenty of users in the UK who have an external dongle with many more than 15 z-wave devices.

I dont want to get in an argument about it the only fix for mine is to shut down and pull the power for a few minutes... just have to wait and see I guess.

Mabey just a bad batch of sticks recently??

Where is your Hubitat situated? It generates a lot of heat when it runs. I have to keep mine outside of my media closet. Before that, I ran into a heat related issue once.

1 Like

Just on a shelf open all around. Hub works fine when a lock up happens, ziggbe, wifi, virtual switches all good, just z-wave becomes unresponsive. Its really frustrating and only seems to happen at night or when were away when a lot of the devices are utilized

I've tried stopping z-wave and enabling it, but the only thing which works is pulling the power to the stick

Have you tried a different power supply?

Today I found a Samsung one which shows 2 amp so will see if it works tonight, but I'm also using RM to delay some devices which seems to smooth the traffic out it just looks like (the buffer?) Gets overwhelmed with the responses, most devices seem to turn but the responses lock the stick

Hmm - I think it might be better if you try one thing a time. I have a couple questions:

Earlier, it might have been indicated by @bobbyD that there were issues with z-wave devices at the periphery of your z-wave network (not the periphery of your physical location).

1. How many zwave+ line-powered devices do you have (i.e. ones that function as z-wave+ repeaters)?

2. Did you add all devices capable of repeating before non-repeating or battery-powered devices?