My Dashboard is Broken

To me no. It looks like only number 9 did a repair and the others failed to finish.

You might have to bite the bullet and get everything wiped correctly and moved over. It sounds like you don't have enough repeaters on either hub. Hubitat has a built in security app called HSM

The last thing I did before this all fell apart, was install HSM. I'm so glad I didn't move everything to Hubitat yet, or I'd be locked out of the house til Monday when (hopefully) someone in support will help me. :-/ I ended up running Z-Wave repair a second time, and it dropped even more devices from the logs of what it was interacting with. It only found Nodes 2, 3 , 4, 5, and 9. Yet the hub still knows about all the nodes, because all my Z-Wave devices are still listed on the Z-Wave details page... I better start looking for the metal key so I can unlock my front door...

What process did you use when you moved your devices from Iris to Hubitat? Did you go one room at a time, or random? Any planning on which devices you could exclude from Iris that would not weaken your mesh there, and which ones were close enough to your HE hub to add without needing repeaters? Have you Force Removed any devices?

Depending on number of total devices and distance between them, you could have very fragile meshes on both hubs. It sounds like the devices you did move are not close enough to talk to the hub, and it also sounds like your Iris mesh may be unstable now too. How far apart are the devices that you moved to Hubitat, and how far are they from the hub?

Installation of HSM would not affect anything related to your Z-Wave mesh.

I started with the device closest to the new Hubitat hub. "remove this device" from Iris, Factory reset, then pair to Hubitat. Then I worked out from there, doing the next-closest device. It went very well. Only the door lock gave me trouble, and it turned out that I had the reset instructions for a slightly different model of Kwikset 910. Getting the proper instruction fixed that problem.

There are 7 Z-Wave devices now paired to Hubitat, all are within 15 feet of each other. None is more than 20 feet from the hub in an adjoining room. Everything was fine til Friday. The only problems I was having were related to understanding Modes and the obtuse Hubitat UI. Then Boom. The Dashboard went nuts and stopped controlling half my Z-Wave devices, showing wrong states. The device pages for those same devices also show wrong states and cannot control the devices or reliably write to the logs.

Then my remaining Iris Z-Wave gadgets started to drop off Iris... I had neglected to re-build that after removing half the devices. This morning I removed and repaired and rebuilt my remaining Iris devices back to my Iris hub, in case that was causing trouble. So Iris Z-Wave is strong again.

I made two more dashboards to replace the one that went blank. They also behave wrong and show wrong states.

I also tried to Remove and exclude my door lock which is the most crucial device that's gone MIA. I couldn't exclude it. I had the hub right next to it, and... nada.

But-- my automations still run, and the Device Details page still lists all my Z-Wave devices, even though "Repair Z-Wave" fails to find or fix them all.

So, Rule Machine can run my Z-Wave devices just fine. I'm beginning to think the the built-in app that runs the hub is jacked somehow...

You Iris folk sure provide some of the most interesting problems I've seen in 6 months or more. :smiley:

Dashboard displays the Current States values you'll find on each Device Info page. Creating new Dashboards shouldn't have any effect, and I think you confirmed that.

Only device 9 finished it's ZWave Repair. Have you run another Hubitat ZWave repair? And for #9, what device is that and where is it located relative to the hub?? Closest? Doesn't sound like any of them are very far.

#2 - #5 look like a battery devices. True?

3 Likes

Have you Force Removed any devices from Hubitat, or factory reset them after they were paired to HE? What you are describing sounds a lot like bad repeaters and/or ghost devices.

I'm known for providing interesting problems. My mother is even worse. She should beta test every device in the world.
Device 9 is a GE In Wall Outlet. It's probably furthest from the hub... 2-5 are also all powered GE outlets and switches. My thermostat (RT 101) and door lock Kwikset 910) are the only battery devices so far. The lock is MIA, and the thermostat doesn't really have a tile on the dashboard that allows interaction, so I don't really know if it is having any problem like that. But like I said, all these devices work fine with Rule Machine. Except the lock. I wonder if I should try adding an unlock lock to a rule and see if that works...

I have not force removed anything. I tried to exclude the lock as a test and nothing happened.

1 Like

Nothing is pretty much what an Exclude looks like :smiley:

Maybe you were successful but were looking in the other direction. :slight_smile:

ZWave repair asks EVERY device the hub can reach for a list of EVERY device that device has heard a message from. Convoluted I know.. but the hub asks #9 for a list. #9 will tell the hub about any device it can receive. Not just the devices it routes for. The hub then builds a Route Table and creates a custom snippet of the table for each device. The way it's organized is: 1) largest physical area; 2) no more than 4 hops; 3) limited by the device's memory for the quantity of alternate routes.

Thus the GE, furthest, is exactly the right one to choose. It extends the mesh furthest in that direction.

Run another ZWave Repair, please, and let's see if we can get at least one more device to finish :smiley:

1 Like

Is there a way to "choose" what you are repairing? Repair just proceeds from node 1 to whatever. Anyway, it seems the same.

Oh, wait. I did remove a device from hubitat. It was my Orbit 12 Station irrigation controller which paired itself unbidden, after I switched a circuit breaker back on. (while installing one of the GE in wall outlets). I removed it and re-paired it to Iris.

Hm. Now it looks like 9 is not finishing either:

sys:12019-02-23 03:40:27.914 pm infoFinished Z-Wave Network Repair

sys:12019-02-23 03:38:49.069 pm traceZ-Wave Node 9: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:38:48.602 pm traceZ-Wave Node 9: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:38:48.032 pm traceZ-Wave Node 9: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:38:47.553 pm traceZ-Wave Node 9: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:38:42.906 pm traceZ-Wave Node 9: Repair pinging

sys:12019-02-23 03:38:42.903 pm traceZ-Wave Node 9: Repair starting

sys:12019-02-23 03:37:09.474 pm traceZ-Wave Node 5: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:37:07.856 pm traceZ-Wave Node 5: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:37:06.238 pm traceZ-Wave Node 5: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:37:03.450 pm traceZ-Wave Node 5: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:36:57.896 pm traceZ-Wave Node 5: Repair pinging

sys:12019-02-23 03:36:57.894 pm traceZ-Wave Node 5: Repair starting

sys:12019-02-23 03:35:24.462 pm traceZ-Wave Node 4: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:35:22.873 pm traceZ-Wave Node 4: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:35:21.295 pm traceZ-Wave Node 4: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:35:18.474 pm traceZ-Wave Node 4: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:35:12.887 pm traceZ-Wave Node 4: Repair pinging

sys:12019-02-23 03:35:12.883 pm traceZ-Wave Node 4: Repair starting

sys:12019-02-23 03:33:38.990 pm traceZ-Wave Node 3: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:33:38.421 pm traceZ-Wave Node 3: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:33:37.945 pm traceZ-Wave Node 3: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:33:37.437 pm traceZ-Wave Node 3: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:33:32.867 pm traceZ-Wave Node 3: Repair pinging

sys:12019-02-23 03:33:32.864 pm traceZ-Wave Node 3: Repair starting

sys:12019-02-23 03:32:00.282 pm traceZ-Wave Node 2: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:31:59.079 pm traceZ-Wave Node 2: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:31:57.839 pm traceZ-Wave Node 2: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:30:27.830 pm traceZ-Wave Node 2: Repair setting SUC route

sys:12019-02-23 03:30:22.786 pm traceZ-Wave Node 2: Repair pinging

sys:12019-02-23 03:30:22.780 pm traceZ-Wave Node 2: Repair starting

sys:12019-02-23 03:30:22.707 pm infoStarting Z-Wave Network Repair

Does this tell us anything interesting?

Yes, it tells us you're telling the truth :smiley:
Meaning it is indeed not working properly, just as you've said.

0x5e is the cluster for ZWave Plus. A handy thing to remember and now you know where to look too. :slight_smile:

Only your Thermo is in good shape.

I don't remember if you have an open ticket on this with Support. If not I'd certainly start one, if only to get in line :frowning: Can tag @bobbyD too.

What's the physical relationship with the Iris hub? The two aren't stacked on top of each other are they? min 3 ft apart?

If by open ticket you mean "sent an email to support", yes. I did that Friday around 3 pm PST, and received a robo reply that I'd have to wait til monday, business hours EST for a reply. I also usually have dental emergencies on friday evenings. My bad timing seems to extend to my little electronic friends, I see.

Iris and Hubitat are about 10 feet apart. I've got hubitat on a reeeeeeealy long ethernet cable so I can hold it close to things if needed.

Took your advice and pinged Bobby...

Update: I'll just keep adding things here so I don't forget. Node 9 has a button that toggles it. Was working fine this morning. Now the button can turn it off but not back on...

I doubt your vintage GE's are the same as mine but I must have 6+ of those guys around here. The little button on the front (between the outlets, is a 'local' button. it's ONLY tied to the outlet. IT does not send anything to the hub.. the result does go to the hub, but the button itself.. nope. In other words, you push the button, it toggles the socket's controlled outlet. THAT causes a message to be sent telling the hub on or off. Same physical status as for a wall switch.

What i meant is that I have a bedside button paired to Hubitat that toggles that (brand new, z-wave plus) outlet on node 9. The bedside button can toggle it off... but can't toggle it back on. I can, of course, crawl under the chair and switch it back on with the button between the outlets, but-- right-- that has nothing to do with my z-wave gremlins. I just thought it was odd that a rule can act upon it, but only in one direction...

I was never an Iris user sooooo sorry if I mis-assume... but for Hubitat, the Driver Info page is the center of the device's universe.

If you can interact with a device via it's info page, then you're a good shape. Dashboards can only display what's found on the Info page under Current States. Rules, of any kind, RM, Motion Lighting, etc. can only "press the buttons" of the device info page.

[ Caveat: Device driver ARE able to implement commands that are not exposed as buttons. RuleMachine has access to them once you expose them via a 'custom command' -- but that's a ways down the Advanced section for new hub owners.)

So.. to make a diagnosis one has to know if the device is controllable via it's info page. Yes: means there's a battle to do with the Rule(s). No: means the other symptoms don't matter, that you've got a ZWave (Zigbee) issue that needs to be resolved first.

1 Like

Well. Guess what. Everything fixed itself sometime in the night. I just can't believe it. All the things are back to reporting to the hub, and all can be controlled by their device page again. I didn't do anything except leave with my presence fob and come back. I'm afraid to touch anything, but I suppose I should attempt a Z-Wave repair again? Is there any chance that the Z-Wave repair could actually mess things up again?

1 Like

The Hubitat fairy must have visited your house last night.

1 Like