Multiple WIFI routers - possible?

I have a single Cisco wifi router which has a LOT of stuff on it. Two Hubitat hubs, 6 Alexa devices, 4 Google Minis, my 2 internet PCs, a laptop, 4 tablets, 2 smart phones and 3 smart tvs (+ 4 wifi video cameras). Should I be concerned, or is this small potatoes for these devices? I'm in the country and I get my internet via a wifi supplier - usually around 3.2 mbps dl.

Is there a modem between the router and the ISP?
And how old is that router? The new mesh Wi-Fi is much better (Google and others). Keep your router as a bridge and turn off it's Wi-Fi.
The algorithms in mesh deal with multiple loads efficiently, and you can even give one device priority on Google Mesh. I won't tell a soul.

1 Like

It's really the amount of traffic, rather than the number of connections, that is the measure of how much of your bandwidth is used. However, from the list you provided I'd guess that your router could use a friend. You can put several routers on your system and they can all have the same SSID and passphrase (your devices will migrate, but probably not quickly, to the one with the best signal) or you can use different SSIDs to force each device to connect to a specific router.

P.S. I have no experience with the mesh mentioned :point_up:

1 Like

If you have wired stuff, a switch is a cheap upgrade. You can get an 8 port switch for $20 on the cheap end, so that would give you 7 new ports. I have a couple 5 port for the TVs and other areas where I want to split the ethernet just a couple ways, and 8 port where all the "crap" plugs in down in the basement.

Example of 8 port.

https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Splitter-Optimization-Unmanaged-TL-SG108/dp/B00A121WN6

1 Like

There is a plain old switch (in my opinion) it says RouterBoard on the top. Lots of blinking lights, like any other switch I've seen. MY ISP put their label across the actual make and model of the router/switch. There are a couple POE injectors for the rooftop radios. They plug their cat5 (?) cable into my Cisco Linksys E2500 router. from there I have a cat5 to each of my Hubitat hubs and one to each of my PCs. If there's a modem it must be on the roof.

That's a Mikrotik device. Depending on the model (peel back the label) :slight_smile: are very good routers and can handle A LOT of traffic and device count. If this unit is also providing Wifi you should be able to narrow down which model you have based on the images.

2 Likes

Says RB951G-2HnD
D4:CA:6D:CC:C5:7A

Total Highspeed (my ISP) label is covering what I believe is the serial number of the router. Radios on roof used to be Motorola IIRC - I believe that is still what they have up there. There are a number of my neighbors who connect to the radios on my roof because I'm the highest elevation.

My wife is able to watch streaming video from Amazon Prime without lag or delays. Last week my son and daughter were here with their laptops and smart phones and none complained about slow connections. I'm really very happy with what I have, but concerned that I may be reaching the breaking point of WIFI.

My ISP has no limit on data usage. And they just received a few million $ from Uncle Sam to add FO to the rural neighborhoods for HS internet...wishful thinking for me.

That is a older lower end model that should work great for most consumer/home environments but like most consumer routers with built in wifi.... there is a limit....

The good news is you could likely contact the ISP and upgrade to a better unit BUT the best course of action would be to ask them to expand it with additional Access Points which could be added pretty cheap. Additional AP's can be added they could set them up with cAPsman to manage them or better define them as individual and local processing and you would be able to add lots and lots of wifi devices.

There's many ways to expand that setup.

1 Like

Thanks so much - I'll talk to them about that. We're small potatoes down here in SW Missouri, but my ISP people seem to know their stuff.

LOL ... well... I'm in the Eastern Panhandle of..... WEST VIRGINIA...... so..... :slight_smile: