Multiple Maker instances to a single Node-RED server

So I have been running with 3 instances of the Maker API all pointing to the same Node-RED server. I have an instance for all my Zigbee devices, one for Z-Wave devices and one for combo group stuff (which was the original instance).

Originally I did this was to reduce maker spamming potential and to hopefully isolate a misbehaving device so it wouldn't take down all the communication to/from NR.

I am wondering if having separate instances like this actually helps anything or just adds overhead. I've been running this way for a while and it all seems to be working well - no problems to report.

Wanted to get peoples thoughts on this..

I had the same setup. Worked ok. A couple months ago, I converted it into a single MakerAPI instance - still no issues.

I've overloaded makerapi on a few occasions, it typically happens when I'm changing the default LED colour of all of my Inovelli lights. Even if I had everything all separated like you, I'd still run up against the same wall. I can't think of a time where I'd be sending enough commands to different communication protocols that it would be enough to overload it, so I'd say you are likely safe to combine into a single instance.

I only use 1 makerapi instance for ~100 devices on each of my production hubs. I haven't seen a need for multiple (outside of testing).

Yeah I initially was just troubleshooting but have left it running.

I may run a few tests just for giggles..

Once francois puts command node event throttling in the command node (next release most likely), it will be even less useful to have multiple maker api instances - I would think.

1 Like

I have 3 also, 1 each for our phones to switch via tasker, and 1 for all other devices..
No issues here!

I was thinking about doing a few looping maker "get all devices/info" calls via an http request node on one and see how it impacts the others.

If you really want to load test, use devices/all ..... :slight_smile:

Takes ~25-30 seconds for that to return on my hubs.

2 Likes

Yep that's what I was planning.. maybe put it in a delayed loop to really get the jam on.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.