Multiple HE's to reduce reliability/comm issues.. thoughts?

True.

I was focusing on the idea of having two hubs, yet using the radio of only one... which is my case. And I don't like it, so I'm trying to send people to the other method :smiley:

Link to Hub is over the LAN - ether to ether - between the hubs. The traffic of one hub gets to the other hub only to splat against the back of the queue on the Hub's radio. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is something to consider - I was looking at it more in terms of area of effect. Each Hub supports a local group of mixed devices (Zigbee/Z-Wave) in order to optimize speed and connection.

My plan is to leave as many of the apps for the devices being controlled local to each hub. The thought is to reduce the communication between hubs as much as possible to prevent the queuing @csteele talked about. I can still use a dashboard on the main controller hub so all good there in terms of user control.

My 2nd HE arrives today and if anyone's interested will post a followup.

4 Likes

Early Followup!

Received the 2nd hub yesterday and installed upstairs. Spent a lot of time pairing. Had some Z-Wave initialization delay issues but a hotfix seems to have helped. My Aeotec Z-Stick died for some reason so that was a bummer tried to use the HE exclude not sure if it worked or not. Did manage to pair all my upstairs switches. Things are working well but no real rules etc are in place yet.

My primary hub is also working well. Added a few more devices back into the system and created some virtual switches, added the APIXU weather station and some rules.

Thoughts so far:
Hard to tell as each hub is essentially starting from scratch - the primary one was reset completely with help from support. I'm a bit wiser in the ways of HE so have avoided things that caused trouble in the past - WC, certain migrated ST drivers, Secure Z-wave pairings,using stock wherever possible etc. My lock is still giving me trouble but I will be switching it's module out for zigbee one today hopefully.

I do feel that as I add more devices, rules and apps that sharing the load between the 2 hubs will help prevent things from getting too bogged down which is my goal. The question now is radio interference/contention etc. Haven't noticed anything yet but still it's still early.

Where a 2nd hub may be worth considering:

• If you are a tinkerer/dev you should get a 2nd hub just to play around with and leave your primary for "production" and stability.
  • As a backup in case your primary dies.
  • If you have a large house or a multilevel house with walls/floors that interfere with signal or a large property.
  • If you have a ton of devices/apps and are having issues or are encountering slowness between devices on different floors or areas of your property.

Keep in mind a full reset could help as well so that might be something to try before spending more money.

I think this was the right call but time will tell. I'm still adding devices back in and have yet to link the 2 hubs together.

1 Like

Great Sales Pitch... HE should pay you comissions...

Just looking!!

2 Likes

!! :grin: !!

I'm trying to get a setup that I can make a "template" out of something simple and reliable not only for me but maybe future clients whom I'd probably have to provide the first line of support to.

Where did you get the module? Link? Thanks

From Yale - their US "shop at home" site..

https://shopyalehome.com/Products/Accessories/AYR202-ZB-HA-USA.aspx

1 Like

To follow up on the lock - swapped the module out and things seem to be working better. It showed up right away when pairing and the codes downloaded. Was a little shaky in terms of responsiveness at first but then it settled down.

followup II - issues with new hub due to ghosts, factory reset and all is working much better.

I had some issues pairing some of my upstairs ZW+ devices - getting stuck on initialization thing, inadvertently created some ghosts. Reached out to support, talked me through a factory reset. Tried again after hub updated and all was well. Able to pair everything with no issues. Hub is up and running, some rules in place and responsiveness is excellent.

Meanwhile on my main hub, everything is okay as well except some issues with some fields on custom drivers conflicting with the DB. Not clear what to do about those yet since I don't have more info as to what fields etc.

So far so good!!!!

1 Like

So now that things are mostly set up and working I'm beginning to think about linking strategies for the 2 hubs..

Since my hubs are separated based on a particular area rather than by type of device or rules/apps there is a natural divide when it comes to function. On purpose each hub is as independent as possible.

For me the main reasons to link hubs would be to synchronize modes and maybe have a few emergency type rules or trigger the HSM somehow.

Want to limit the amount of traffic between the two if I can - again trying to keep things as simple and stable as possible.

On a side note because I have multiple hubs - when I encountered my ghost device issue on the new hub I only had to reset the new hub itself and leave the other one alone. This saved me the headache of having to re-include all 100+ devices and recreate all my rules all over again. Still had to deal with 30+ devices but it was a lot better than everything.

1 Like

I continue to believe that the constraint we face with our Hubs is the radio. We've got gig connectivity to the hub (ethernet) and gigs of mem and gigs of 4 core processing, all trying to exit a 40kb radio. (100kb for the top of the line devices.) I think you can exchange as much non-radio impacting data as you want: Modes and Virtual devices, etc.

If you want Modes on Hub 1 to be sent to Hub 2 and then for Hub 2 to interpret that and set some Virtual devices which are sent back to Hub 1.. I say go for it :slight_smile: (Why you'd do that is a question, but I think it wouldn't impact anything.) :smiley:

If you want Modes on Hub 1 to be sent to Hub 2 and then for Hub 2 to interpret that and set some Virtual devices which are sent back to Hub 1.. I say go for it :slight_smile: (Why you'd do that is a question, but I think it wouldn't impact anything.) :smiley:

I was thinking about just synchronizing the modes. My current mode would be determined by the main hub and it would sync to the new/upstairs one. That way I have consistent mode behavior between hubs without having to have 2 sets of mode logic. Prefer to keep my apps local to each hub if I can.

As far as the radios go at least we should be able to upgrade them at some point hopefully!

My house was built in 2000 and they used Cat5 for the phone wiring but it is all point to point. I don't need phone lines so converted it all to point to point cat5 connections and use a small switch anywhere that I need a connection. Really wish it was all home run.

Yeah I've only ever seen home runs but I think it was in newer houses. Phone wiring seems to be falling out of favor especially in recent renovations - we did not include any for ours...

I ripped all mine out.

Perhaps I will be showing my age :wink: but we prefer to have a "landline" as well as our cell phones. We converted to Ooma and can still use the phone lines to extend that to all the rooms.

Having been around rotary for a bit and then ultimately weening my wife's parents off of Ma Bells never ending touch-tone phone rental scam I completely understand - and also lament the lost days of youth :sob:

However over time we found ourselves using less and less of the land line. If you aren't on copper any more then there seems to be no real benefit unless cell reception is terrible at your location.

Our biggest problem is that we immediately put our cell phones in the charger at the entrance to the house and typically don't hear them when they ring...just ask our kids! :smile: But we have the landline handsets in almost every room of the house and they all ring when a call comes in. People who know us well know to call us on the main phone number...

1 Like

We solved the need to have a landline by buying a wireless handset system that connected to our phones via bluetooth. We would come home, plug the phones in to charge, and they would automatically connect to the wireless handset phone's base. When our cell phones rang, the handsets would too. You could also very easily make outbound calls from the handset, just as you are used to now. This also eliminated someone calling the house number and not reaching us because we were not home.

1 Like