Moving from Wink

After reading the post a few more times I started following. They work with repeaters. I'll look those up.

1 Like

First impressions, I only have two rooms setup and the Lutron Hub and 3 Picos so I have a lot more to do.

Hubitat is faster than Wink.
Hubitat is much more configurable than Wink.
Hubitat is much more complicated than Wink.
Hubitat currently works and has an active community of knowledgeable and helpful users.
The equipment is smaller, the Hubitat is very small and light, the Lutron Bridge is similarly small and light.

The mobile app seems okay, a bit clunky but that might just require some better dashboards to fix. I have not spent much time on that as it seems to make more sense to have all the devices in before messing about with those.

Have had zero problems getting devices to register, even the GE dimmers that I was worried about.

The Pico remotes work great, nearly instant and each can act as 10 triggers, perhaps 15 but I have not tried the double click option since I don't need 15.

I am still trying to figure out how to use the Picos to gradually adjust the dimming level, so far have not figured it out so I am using them as single press +-10 adjusters which works fine but isn't ideal.

It is probably going to take me a couple of weeks of chipping away at stuff to get back to what I had the Wink system doing but I am already seeing additional possibilities to enhance it once that's all done.

I am also confused about how to group devices by room to allow multiple adjustments all at the same time but I don't really need to do many so just adding a number of actions to fire off a single trigger works well enough.

Overall I am happy I found the replacement and it will eventually be worth the additional cost, which wasn't really an option currently, but even if Wink resumes operation I would suggest to users who are somewhat technically competent that the switch is worthwhile.

4 Likes

Check out the Smartly user-contributed dashboard skin. Has drag-and-drop, looks nice.

In HE there is no room concept. You can name them with there room name at the beginning so they group together in the administration pages. I do this just to help find them.

In reference to controling them all together, you looking for the group's and scenes app. You select all the devices in the room and name the app for example (MB) Lights. This will then create a new group device called (MB) lights and when I turn that or set the level/colour all the lights in that room will go to that level/ colour. If they are ZigBee lamps and you tick the slider in the app to use ZigBee groups then this will add all the ZigBee lamps to a group. This removes any popcorn effect when controling them.

1 Like

Wink came back to life today, along with an email apology about the mess. I'm thankful my timers all worked locally, and my lights kept working from the app. I'm still hanging on a bit, I'm fairly invested, including a Wink Relay screen. But the farther I get into HE the more I'm forgetting Wink.
I'm working my way through this. I've changed out a few link bulbs a day for the last few days for Philips hue bulbs. (does anyone want any GE Link Bulbs? I've got 10) I've set up simple rules for automating them and so far there aren't any issues. It took a little while to figure out the procedure, but in general, it was't too hard, and once I figured out the process, the rest kind of fell into place. I migrated my Philips Hue sensors out of the app and directly to HE, added a Siren/Chime thingy as a device, and ordered a Lutron Pro Bridge. The next thing to tackle will be moving my Caseta dimmers/switches over once I get the Bridge and a couple of automations with the motion sensors. Which brings me to this. I've looked and so far I can't find an answer:
I have my Philips outdoor motion sensors and one Siren/Chime thing in my device list in HE. I've tried to use Rule Machine to set up a If this then that scenario with these devices and so far no dice. Like I said both the motion sensor I want to use and the Siren/Chime I want to use are in my device list. When the motion sensor detects motion, I want the noisemaker to make noise. I find the motion sensor in rule machine, but the chime isn't in there, so that's where that endeavor ends, any help is appreciated.

In general I find HE is faster/snappier, and from what i can tell, it's a lot more customizable, but with that customization comes a lot more programming difficulty.

3 Likes

Don't buy crappy crazy expensive hue! Look at ZigBee 3.0 versions like inner, Aurora, ledvance and others.

Hue lamps you shouldn't join directly to the hub unless your using a dedicated hub.

What chime?

Use the built-in notification app for that.

No offence but if your from wink, you shouldn't be starting with RM there is no way your need that yet. You need to start with the simple apps. In fact I would advise you start with the "let's get started " app on the welcome page. It's at the bottom of the landing page when you go to your hub IP

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.