Moving from SmartThings to Hubitat....Need help

I have been on STs for many years and with the decision to move away from WebCore was the final straw. I have many devices (Philips Hue, Ring Doorbell and Security ecosystem products, Amazon Echo, Monoprice contact sensors, Sonos speaker, NuTone garage door opener, a STs button, a few GE Switches, STs water sensors, and a few odds and ins plug ins. I have removed them from STs and some did the Zwave Exclusion, but some I did not. I have the ST hub unplugged and now want to start adding devices to Hubitat. Unfortunately, I feel like I am missing a step to get the devices into pairing mode or resetting them and I do not know where to start. I reviewed the post that everyone references, but for some odd reason, it is not helping me. Can someone lend a novice a helping hand to get me rolling?

I'm not sure what "the post" is, but it may be good to share a link. However, since you mentioned Z-Wave devices, the most common cause there when moving to a new system is that the device was not excluded from the old system. You don't need the old system to do that; a "general exclusion" using any hub/controller should do that. On Hubitat, the best way to do this is from Devices > Add Device > Z-Wave > Start Z-Wave Exclusion (it's such a common need that it's there when you try to add a device, too :smiley: ). You'll see "Unknown Z-Wave device excluded" appear on the screen if it worked. If not, it probably didn't, and you'll likely need to try again. Once it's excluded from a previous network, Start Z-Wave Inclusion should work to get it joined to Hubitat.

A factory reset of the Z-Wave device should also erase previous pairing information (eliminating the need to do this), though there are some GE switches and perhaps other devices where this doesn't; an exclusion is probably best because you'll get visual feedback from the hub, and both wouldn't hurt, but theoretically, one or the other is usually good enough.

For Zigbee devices, normally you just need to reset them to get them into pairing mode, then you can do Devices > Add Device > Zigbee, or find the brand/model in the list instead (no reason to do this if you already know the device protocol and how to join it--it has no effect on the pairing process but does provide the advantage of showing instructions if Hubitat has them for that brand and model of device).

For any device, if you don't know how to put it into exclusion/inclusion mode, reset it or otherwise put it into "pairing mode," the device manual should tell you. Hubitat's list of compatible devices also has instructions for many, the same you should see on the page above if you look by brand and model and Hubitat happens to have them. Otherwise, just doing a web search for your brand and model may pull up the manual or other helpful resources.

Sonos and Hue are a different; they are LAN devices that require an app to manage communication or facilitate addition of the devices. (Technically, Sonos can be added without the app, though it's easier to use it.) Go to Apps > Add Built-In App and find the Hue Bridge or Sonos integration to do this. There is no need to "reset" or remove these devices from SmartThings first, as they can be added to any number of third-party systems simultaneously.

The Amazon Echo integration is similar to the official ST one, last I saw, aside from the fact that you can choose which devices to integrate (which you could on the original ST integration too, though not last I checked). That is also done via an app: Amazon Echo Skill | Hubitat Documentation. Like the ST integration, this is one way: Hubitat devices to Alexa. You cannot get Alexa-only devices into Hubitat this way.

Ring has no official integration, but there may be at least one community offering that could unofficially work. That is likely to be more difficult, and I probably wouldn't start there. The SmartThings buttons and water sensors should be pretty easy (just reset and pair), and the GE switches and Monoprice sensors shouldn't be too bad either, if you get past the Z-Wave exclusion hurdle and are able to include them. I don't know what protocol your other devices are, but one of the options above (Z-Wave, Zigbee, LAN, or perhaps an unofficial community integration) are likely possible.

5 Likes

Thanks so much Bert. This was very helpful. I checked out the list of compatible devices and they have exclusion / inclusion instructions. I have gotten the echo completed but am wondering if the Echo devices themselves can become text to speech or is that not available in Hubitat either? no big deal, because I also go the Sonos integrated and I think that can hand text to speech. I also got the Hue integrated and the STs button. I tried to follow the exclusion instructions for the monoprice contact sensors and the ring contact sensors, but I am struggling there, but I think I will figure it out. Thanks again for your assistance.

Amazon does not officially support this, and there is no built-in Hubitat integration. However, like ST, there are community efforts. A popular option is Echo Speaks, which may sound familiar if you also used it on ST.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.