Move off Ring Contact Sensors/Alexa routines

I have 2 alexa routines that connect to smart switches that rely on the ring alarm contact sensors on doors. The recent ring outage messing up those routines (and still not back up and running) make me want to move even more local. I'm going to keep those sensors since I subscribe to the ring alarm service.

Suggestions on how to move local? Was thinking if I buy another small form factor contact switch for those doors (2 sets of contact sensors on doors....), or work more with virtual switches/devices... I know the alexa integration app innhubitat is no longer being supported.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

HE has drivers for the Ring Contact Sensors if you’d like to connect them directly, and there is the Amazon Echo Skill app if you need/want Alexa integration.

Maybe I'm just slow on this then. Can I connect them directly to HE, while keeping them connected to my ring alarm base station? I do use the echo skill app.

A z-wave device can be paired to a single primary controller.

And I don't know enough about the Ring Alarm system or the Hubitat C-7 to tell you whether either of them can act as a secondary controller for the other. But I bet @bcopeland knows.

There is a cloud-dependent Hubitat Ring integration though.

Ha.. I tried this out of curiosity.. and failed miserably .. I can get the ring hub included but the ring hub keeps telling me it failed even though it got the grants and node id..

1 Like

I even tried a virtual switch in alexa with a simple automation rule in he, it's not capturing if the contact is open closed.