Motion Sensors- Possible to Pass Temp to Alexa?

If by “hub” you are referring to sensors paired directly with the Echo Plus’ built-in Zigbee radio, then you are correct. There is no way for any Iris v1 devices to be paired directly with the Echo Plus’ Zigbee radio. Since Amazon’s skills do not support temperature sensors to be integrated as Smart Home Devices, there is no way to use Hubitat as a means to get any temperature data into into Alexa.

Your only option is to use virtual contact sensors as has been described above.

1 Like

Thanks. I understand that's the temp isn't available via the Hubitat Skill.

I probably should have asked my question better.

Are there any plans to pass temp data to Alexa via the Hubitat Skill?

That's why I posted under feature request.

I don’t believe Amazon supports passing temperature values via a skill, except for Thermostats. So, even if Hubitat added thermostats to their Alexa skill, the problem remains that Alexa Routines still cannot be triggered via thermostat temperatures. I have two Nest thermostats, and neither of these show up as options as triggers for Alexa Routines. @corerootedxb tried the same with his ecobee thermostat as well.

So, I believe most of the changes will need to come from Amazon side before Hubitat can do anything.

Question for you...why not just let Hubitat perform whatever control you desire? Why are you wanting to use Alexa for this automation? Is there a device which only works with Alexa, and not Hubitat?

2 Likes

I have several wifi plugs I've been using for years to control small space heaters via a schedule.

I have a bunch of Iris V1 motion sensors and thought it would be a good way to put them to use and increase efficiency.

1 Like

That’s understandable! An inexpensive way to replace those WiFi outlets with some that are natively supported by Hubitat, and will improve your Zigbee mesh network, is to pick up the following Iris v2 Zigbee outlets (and they are z-wave repeaters as well.)

2 Likes

If you'd like to try an alternative to the suggestion to that made by @ogiewon (that eBay price is good the seller is reliable, BTW):

Assuming that the WiFi plugs cannot be integrated directly into HE, you can still control them via HE if you use the Echo Speaks + Actions app.

While previous versions of ES were associated with hub slowdowns, I don't know if anyone has seen a HE slowdown with the most recent release.

1 Like

I have some of the Iris plugs. Actually, I have a mix of zwave and zigbee plugs running a few mesh networks.

I'm sort of a hub geek. I'm running several.

As soon as Hubitat reaches high WAF, I'll probably run everything from that, except for bulbs and locks.

2 Likes

Any update on this feature?

Why Hubitat doesn't send a device with multiple capabilities?

ST can send contact sensor with temp to Alexa.

Please add this feature!

Hubitat's Alexa skill has not added any new features recently. Thermostats are not supported, and motion/contact sensors (the most recent addition on Hubitat's side) only pass open/close information and not temperature--the addition of which for these devices was, I think, a relatively recent addition in SmartThings (I always used a few virtual thermostats to work around this limitation).

It sounds like you have SmartThings. In that case, I recommend passing your desired contact sensors to SmartThings via HubConnect (probably what I'd recommend now) or Other Hub (not sure if it supports temperature on contact sensors). Then you can integrate them via the SmartThings Alexa skill and do what your heart desires.

(And apparently you no longer have to use virtual thermostats to get what you want there, something I had been doing for a while.)

I did have ST for a month and when it didn't satisfy me with the speed of custom devices (cloud computing) I moved to Hubitat.

I also don't think it is logical to have two SmartHome hub in a home.

Hubitat's Alexa skill has not added any new features recently. Thermostats are not supported, and motion/contact sensors (the most recent addition on Hubitat's side) only pass open/close information and not temperature

Which can be added as a new feature.

I also don't understand why these app code in Hubitat are private.

It can evolve way faster by making the code public and let other contribute.

If it helps, you wouldn't technically need the ST hub for that. You just need the account. Everything you'd be doing is cloud based.

2 Likes

Regarding this: "I don’t believe Amazon supports passing temperature values via a skill, except for Thermostats." I just got a YoLink hub that came with 2 door/window sensors, and also bought a separate Temperature+Humidity Sensor. I got this because I've been having a tough time finding a contact sensor with enough range to reach my mailbox. The YoLink uses LoRA, which supposedly has much longer range than Zigbee or Z-Wave. I haven't actually gotten around to testing that part, but I did just test out the Temperature+Humidity sensor along with their Alexa skill. Lo and behold, I can ask Alexa, "What is the Office temperature", and it will respond with the temperature on the YoLink sensor. I can't seem to access Humidity this way, but it is working for temperature. So, it seems it should be possible for the Hubitat skill to also support this. This is the sensor: Robot Check
YoLinkAlexaTemp

Yes, these days the Alexa Smart Home Skill has added support for temperature sensors. I believe I read in a recent post from a Hubitat employee that the Hubitat Alexa Skill will receive some updates in the next Hub firmware/platform release. Hopefully this functionality is being added.

Here is the post

4 Likes

I've always been able to ask for the temp and create routines using temp. The problem was the actual temp wasn't showing up in the Alexa app.

I picked up the Yolink set and temp/humidity sensor a couple of months ago. The devices work well, but the app is awful. It won't show the temp history and the sensors don't report when no motion detected. This hardware and app are pretty much in the Alpha stage.

1 Like

I’m mostly just hoping to have it announce when someone opens the mailbox. I don’t expect to need that for any other automation, so I’m Ok with having a 1-off solution for it. I figured I’d try the temp sensor, too, while I was at it. But if the Hubitat Alexa skill will get temp sensor support soon, I’ll hold out on getting more temp sensors. For many locations, I’d prefer a sensor that has a display, but then I’d like it to look decent, too

I got it for the same reason. To alert when mail arrived. Mailbox about 150ft away. Didn't reach.

Mine is maybe 50 ft from the house, but the Hubitat hub is on the other end of the house. I've tried a few relays, but no luck.

I put a Ring motion sensor in the mailbox. Works well.

1 Like

I use a handful of the Centralite Zigbee temp/motion detectors around the house and I'm able to query Alexa to report the temperature on various floors, in the garage, outside, etc. So as of 2021 all the Hubitat & Alexa integrations seem to be in place,