Motion sensor with light sensitivity?

I've ordered my Hubitat and now looking to start adding a few items, starting with a motion sensor. I want to add one to my front entryway but ideally only turn on the lights if it's dark enough. It seems there are some motion sensors that also have a lux sensor, but the vast majority don't.

But wouldn't this be somewhat common? We don't always want to turn on lights if it's not dark? I suppose I could do a basic condition of between sunrise and sunset, however the entryway is sort of tucked away and there are walls+stairs, and so it could depend a lot more on the ambient light of the day.

Is there a supported + recommended motion sensor that can do this? The only one I'm coming across is the Hue sensor, which is pricey.

I have seen the Hue one recommended a few times in the past especially for outdoor. I have two different Zooz multi sensors but they are not made for outdoors.

2 Likes

My CoolCam NEO's work well (seem to be OOS ATM).
I don't have one but there's also Fibaro.

1 Like

The Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor works very well. It is made for outdoors, it uses regular AA batteries and it reports motion, lux, and temperature. It pairs natively (Zigbee) with the Hubitat Hub.

Ah sorry to be clear - the INDOOR of my entryway :slight_smile:

But yeah I see the hue indoor is liked. And very expensive. But then the others have no true compatibility or drop off or don’t have light sensor too. Or I’m missing the hood options?!

If you mainly want the Lux feature, this one I have and works pretty good for that. The motion is a little slow to respond compared to others but the lux has a decent range.
Zooz Z-Wave Plus Q Sensor ZSE11 | Motion, Temp, Humidity, Light - The Smartest House

Check out this thread for a bunch of user supported Zigbee multi-sensors: [RELEASE] Tuya Zigbee Multi-Sensor 4 In 1 (PIR motion sensors and mmWave presence radars) If you read the thread people have commented on some of the models.

2 Likes

Depends what sort of motion detection you want.

I have a coolcam neo which is PIR and one of those Ali express mm radar ones... Both have lux measuring.

Both pretty good. The neo also does temperature.

The mmr is quite good for long term occupancy detection (eg did you come into a room and stay there) but the PIR will work fine for moving into a lobby.

As mentioned earlier, the Hue motion sensor detects Lux (light level). They are a little pricey, but work well and use standard AA batteries.

Generally the best price is $60 for a two pack from Costco online.

https://www.costco.com/philips-hue-indoor-smart-motion-sensor-2-pack.product.100575866.html

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.